Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar: The Chhatrapati Sambhajinagar Municipal Corporation (CSMC) on Wednesday removed 144 encroachments along a 5km stretch of Jalna Road -- from Seven Hills flyover to Garkheda and Shahnoormiyan Dargah — but the demolition of earthen pots and clay jars sold by roadside potters sparked sharp criticism and public outrage.
The anti-encroachment drive began around 10am and continued till evening, covering key stretches near the divisional sports complex and Shahnoormiya Dargah Chowk. While officials targeted tin sheds, roadside stalls, permanent and temporary structures, shopfront extensions and advertising poles, the use of JCB machines to crush hundreds of clay pots drew strong objections from residents and vendors.
Potters alleged that despite their willingness to vacate footpaths voluntarily, civic officials ignored their requests and destroyed their goods. Lakhan Saha, one of the affected potters, said they had taken loans from private moneylenders to carry out their business. "We were ready to remove our temporary setup, but the civic body did not listen, and destroyed everything," he said.
The drive was conducted under the supervision of anti-encroachment officer Santosh Vahule, with coordinator Sanjay Suradkar, civic staff, civil response teams and a heavy police deployment.
Encroachments removed included tin sheds, iron structures, handcarts, roadside stalls and shop extensions. Handcarts belonging to fruit and vegetable vendors were seized during the operation.
Illegal extensions at several locations — including near Dulha-Dulhan, Chintamani Sweet Mart and other commercial establishments — were demolished. Structures put up by showrooms, garages and eateries also faced action. Officials additionally cleared a Smart City bus stop where a woman had been residing, and razed an advertising pole erected on the footpath near Tata Motors at Seven Hills.
Tension flared at some spots when lawyers representing property owners confronted the squad, alleging that demolitions were carried out despite court orders. Heated exchanges broke out after they questioned why existing orders were ignored.
Later in the day, municipal commissioner Amol Yedage visited the Shahnoormiya Dargah area near D-Mart and interacted with local residents. He said the demolition drive would be halted only if valid building permissions issued by the town planning department are produced.
Civic officials said a total of 144 encroachments were removed and added that similar drives would continue in other parts of the city. The next phase of the action is scheduled from Sootgirni Chowk to Anand Gade Chowk, officials said.