Rayagada Police have arrested nine accused, including the main accused, in connection with the kidnapping and murder of 19-year-old Hadipa Nikhil, officials said.
Rayagada SP Swathy S Kumar said three were arrested from Aurangabad in Bihar, four from Visakhapatnam, one from Kalahandi, and one from Rayagada.
On investigation, it was ascertained that both gangs had issues between them stemming from a gambling dispute. The deceased and his father had looted a gambling place, the SP said.
One of the accused, Umesh Hial, has eight prior criminal cases against him. Police have identified around 21 people in connection with the case, and further arrests are expected.
Ten people, including a minor, were killed in an armed attack in Mexico's Puebla state on Sunday, the state's public security ministry said.
The victims — six men, three women and a child — were targeted by armed individuals in the municipality of Tehuitzingo, the ministry added.
Delhi Police has directed all its units and offices to take immediate steps to curtail avoidable vehicular movement, optimise deployment of available vehicles, and promote economical use of fuel, in view of the prevailing international situation and the Prime Minister's appeal for reduction in fuel consumption.
All officers and staff have been asked to take a pledge to conserve fuel, prioritise Indian-made products for government procurement as well as personal use, and control electricity usage by switching off extra lights and fans. Air conditioners should be used within the 24-26° Celsius range, the order stated.
In a major crackdown on transnational cybercrime, Ludhiana Police have busted a massive international cyber fraud module that targeted citizens across North America, Canada, and several other countries, extracting crores of rupees, officials said on Sunday.
So far, police have named 140 accused in the case, out of which 136 have been arrested. A significant cache of electronic equipment and cash has also been recovered.
Ludhiana Police Commissioner Swapan Sharma said the Income Tax Department has been roped into the investigation after a massive hawala network linked to the scam was uncovered, with links to Gujarat.
"The fraudsters used to lure victims by posting deceptive advertisements across various social media platforms and subsequently siphoned off large sums of money from their bank accounts," Sharma said.
The module operated with accomplices based abroad. Illicit funds extorted from foreign nationals were channelled back through hawala routes and distributed between domestic and overseas operators on a 40:60 profit-sharing ratio.
Five people, including three women aged between 50 and 75, were killed after their car crashed into the centre median at Ayyapatti near Melur on Sunday evening, police said.
The victims were returning from Trichy after offering prayers at the Samayapuram Mariyamman Temple. Kottampatti police have registered a case and are investigating.
The Narcotics Control Bureau has busted a major India–Myanmar drug syndicate under Operation RAZEPILL and seized 227.2 kg of Captagon tablets and powder, officials said.
A Syrian national and the owner of a factory in Dehradun, Uttarakhand, have been arrested in connection with the case. According to sources, the Captagon tablets recovered from Neb Sarai were illegally manufactured at the factory using sophisticated machinery and chemical materials.
Further investigation into the drug network is underway.
Four people were killed and one person was seriously injured after a truck collided with a car on National Highway-34 near the Chhirka crossing on the Hamirpur-Mahoba road around 1.30 pm, police said.
The victims were returning to Kanpur after visiting Bageshwar Dham when their Wagon R was hit by a speeding truck coming from the opposite direction, according to police.
The deceased were identified as Narendra Kumar (55), his wife Rekha (52), and their friends Raj Kapoor (57) and his wife Meena (52), all residents of Kanpur's Nawabganj area.
The car driver, Ayush Chauhan (25) of Lucknow, sustained serious injuries and has been referred to Hamirpur district hospital. His condition is stated to be stable.
All car occupants were taken to the Community Health Centre in Maudaha, where doctors declared four of them dead. Bodies have been sent for post-mortem examination.
On Sunday, the World Health Organisation classified the Ebola outbreak affecting the Democratic Republic of Congo and Uganda as a “public health emergency of international concern.” According to Reuters, the authority further added that the Bundibugyo virus-driven outbreak does not currently fulfil the conditions for a pandemic emergency.