Israel Iran News Live Updates: Over 900 killed in Iran during 12-day war with Israel
THE TIMES OF INDIA | Jun 30, 2025, 23:13:21 IST
Share

Israel Iran News Live Updates: Over 900 killed in Iran during 12-day war with Israel

Israel Iran Ceasefire Live: The surprise ceasefire between Iran and Israel, brokered by the Trump administration, has raised fresh questions about the future of US policy in the Middle East. Despite the truce, uncertainty remains over whether it will hold and how Washington will proceed, particularly with President Trump sidelining traditional diplomatic channels and relying on a small circle of White House advisers.

US special envoy Steve Witkoff has called for comprehensive peace talks with Tehran. However, observers note confusion within Iran’s leadership and question whether a negotiating team with real authority exists. Despite this, back-channel discussions are reportedly underway.

The ceasefire followed US strikes on Iranian nuclear sites, which Trump claimed had obliterated the programme. But a preliminary US intelligence assessment suggests only limited disruption, with key facilities damaged but not destroyed. Iran retains significant military capability, including the ability to threaten US forces.
23:13 (IST) Jun 30
Police: Israelis plotted attacks for Iran, including assassination
Israeli citizens were arrested earlier this month on suspicion of working on behalf of Iranian intelligence to carry out missions intended to harm Israeli civilians and national security, it was cleared for publication on Monday.

The suspects were arrested in two separate operations by the Israel Police under the direction of the Israel Security Agency (Shin Bet).

In one case, 33-year-old Mark Morgaine, a resident of the Jordan Valley, was arrested for maintaining contact with Iranian intelligence and carrying out direct assignments for them. According to the joint statement, Morgaine allegedly agreed to retrieve a grenade buried at a prearranged location with the understanding that it was intended to be used against civilians.

Morgaine also reportedly sent a video of a missile interception to his Iranian handler during the 12-day war.

Morgaine was arrested on June 15.

In a separate investigation, Yoni Segal, 18, and Nahorai Omri Mizrahi, 20, both from Tiberias, were arrested overnight between June 14 and 15. Authorities suspect the two of conducting surveillance missions on behalf of Iranian intelligence, including photographing malls in Tel Aviv, Haifa and Tiberias, as well as Tel Aviv's Ichilov Hospital.

Segal and Mizrahi allegedly documented the number of security guards, stores, and structural layouts, and sent real-time location updates to their Iranian contact. Investigators say the pair even encouraged their handler to assign them further missions.
20:41 (IST) Jun 30
Trump says not offering Iran 'anything', nor speaking to them
US President Donald Trump said Monday he was not offering Iran anything nor talking to it "since we totally obliterated" the country's nuclear facilities.
"I am not offering Iran ANYTHING, unlike Obama," Trump wrote on his Truth Social platform.

"Nor am I even talking to them since we totally OBLITERATED their Nuclear Facilities."

The statement comes as Iran's deputy foreign minister told the BBC that talks between Washington and Tehran cannot resume unless the US rules out further strikes on Iran.

Majid Takht-Ravanchi told the British broadcaster that the US had signalled it wants to return to the negotiating table, a week after it struck three Iranian nuclear facilities.

"We have not agreed to any date, we have not agreed to the modality," said Takht-Ravanchi.

"Right now we are seeking an answer to this question. Are we going to see a repetition of an act of aggression while we are engaging in dialogue?"

The US needs to be "quite clear on this very important question", he said.
19:50 (IST) Jun 30
Iran decries 'destructive' conduct by IAEA chief
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian told his French counterpart Emmanuel Macron that Tehran halted cooperation with the UN nuclear watchdog due to what he called the agency chief's "destructive" behaviour towards the Islamic republic, his office said Monday.

"The action taken by parliament members... is a natural response to the unjustified, unconstructive, and destructive conduct of the Director General of the International Atomic Energy Agency," Pezeshkian told Macron in a phone call late Sunday, according to a presidency statement.

On Wednesday, Iranian lawmakers voted in favour of a bill to suspend cooperation with the IAEA, citing Israel's June 13 attack on the Islamic republic and later strikes by the United States on nuclear facilities.

A ceasefire between Iran and Israel took hold on June 24.

Since the start of the war with Israel, Iranian officials have sharply criticised the agency for failing to condemn the strikes.

Iran has also criticised the watchdog for passing a resolution on June 12 accusing it of non-compliance with its nuclear obligations.

In a Sunday post on X, Macron said he called for "respect for the ceasefire" and a return to negotiations to address "ballistic and nuclear issues."

He further called for "the swift resumption of the IAEA's work in Iran to ensure full transparency."
17:32 (IST) Jun 30
Israel eyes peace accords with Syria, Lebanon
Israel said Monday it is "interested" in striking peace agreements with neighbouring Lebanon and Syria, a potentially historic shift in the region after decades of war and animosity.

With Syria under new leadership after the fall of longtime ruler Bashar al-Assad and Lebanon's Iran-backed Hezbollah movement weakened, Israeli Foreign Minister Gideon Saar told journalists his government wanted more normalisation agreements with Arab countries.

"Israel is interested in expanding the Abraham Accords circle of peace and normalisation," Saar said of the US-brokered deals that Israel signed with the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Morocco in 2020, during US President Donald Trump's first term.

"We have an interest in adding countries such as Syria and Lebanon, our neighbours -- to the circle of peace and normalisation while safeguarding Israel's essential and security interests," Saar told a news conference in Jerusalem alongside his Austrian counterpart Beate Meinl-Reisinger.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Thursday that Israel's recent "victory" in a 12-day war against Iran "opens the path to dramatically enlarge the peace accords".
16:58 (IST) Jun 30
Over 900 killed in Iran during 12-day war with Israel: State media
At least 935 people were killed in Iran during its 12-day war with Israel, Iranian state media reported Monday, nearly a week since a ceasefire took hold.
"During the 12-day war waged by the Zionist regime against our country, 935 martyrs have been identified so far," the official IRNA news agency quoted judiciary spokesman Asghar Jahangir as saying. The death toll included 132 women and 38 children.
15:15 (IST) Jun 30
Israel FM says Golan to 'remain part of' Israel in any Syria peace deal
Israel's Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said Monday that the occupied Golan Heights "will remain part of" Israel under any potential peace agreement with Syria.


"In any peace agreement, the Golan will remain part of the State of Israel," Saar told a news conference in Jerusalem, referring to the territory Israel seized from Syria in 1967 and later annexed in a move not recognised by the United Nations.
14:55 (IST) Jun 30
Israel 'interested' in normalising ties with Syria, Lebanon: FM
Israel is "interested" in striking "peace and normalisation" agreements with its neighbours Lebanon and Syria, Foreign Minister Gideon Saar said on Monday.

"Israel is interested in expanding the Abraham Accord circle of peace and normalisation," Saar said at a news conference, referring to US-sponsored agreements signed in 2020 by Israel with the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Morocco.

"We have an interest in adding countries, Syria and Lebanon, our neighbours, to the circle of peace and normalisation while safeguarding Israel's essential and security interests," he added.
13:11 (IST) Jun 30
I am not offering anything Iran: Trump
Tell phony Democrat Senator Chris Coons that I am not offering Iran ANYTHING, unlike Obama, who paid them $Billions under the stupid “road to a Nuclear Weapon JCPOA (which would now be expired!), nor am I even talking to them since we totally OBLITERATED their Nuclear Facilities, Trump said
19:02 (IST) Jun 29
Iran casts doubt on Israel’s ceasefire commitment after 12-day war; demands UN name aggressors
Six days into a fragile ceasefire brokered by the United States, Iran on Sunday said it does not trust Israel to uphold its end of the truce, as both nations continue to reel from the most violent confrontation in their history. The 12-day war, triggered by an Israeli bombing campaign that targeted Iran’s top nuclear scientists and commanders, has left hundreds dead, diplomatic efforts in disarray, and fresh geopolitical scars on an already tense region.

“We have serious doubts over the enemy's compliance with its commitments including the ceasefire,” said Abdolrahim Mousavi, chief of staff of Iran’s armed forces, in a statement aired by state television. “We are ready to respond with force if attacked again.”

The conflict began on June 13, when Israel launched what it called a pre-emptive bombing campaign targeting Iran’s nuclear infrastructure. It claimed the strikes were aimed at preventing Iran from acquiring a nuclear weapon—a charge Tehran has consistently denied.
18:18 (IST) Jun 29
Israeli court postpones Netanyahu appearance in graft trial
An Israeli court on Sunday postponed Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's testimony in his corruption trial after he requested a delay with the suppport of US President Donald Trump, in a ruling published by the premier's party.

"Following the explanations given... we partially accept the request and cancel at this stage Mr Netanyahu's hearings scheduled" for this week, the Jerusalem district court said in its ruling, published online by the Likud party.

Netanyahu's lawyers had asked the court to excuse him from testifying over the next two weeks so he could focus on security issues following a ceasefire with Iran and amid ongoing fighting in Gaza where Israeli hostages are held.

They had submitted Netanyahu's schedule to the court to demonstrate "the national need for the prime minister to devote all his time and energy to the political, national and security issues at hand".
16:37 (IST) Jun 29
Israel army issues evacuation warning for parts of north Gaza
Israel's military issued Sunday an evacuation order for the northern Gaza Strip, warning Palestinians in parts of Gaza City and nearby areas of imminent action there, more than 20 months into the war with Hamas.

Israeli forces "will operate with intense force in these areas, and these military operations will intensify and expand... to destroy the capabilities of the terrorist organisations", military spokesman Avichay Adraee said in a statement posted on X alongside a map of northern Gaza, telling residents to "evacuate immediately south to Al-Mawasi" for safety.
16:19 (IST) Jun 29
Iran says has 'serious doubts' over Israel's commitment to ceasefire
Iran's armed forces chief of staff Abdolrahim Mousavi said on Sunday that Tehran was not conviced Israel would abide by a ceasefire that ended their 12-day war earlier this month.

"We did not start the war, but we have responded to the aggressor with all our power, and as we have serious doubts over the enemy's compliance with its commitments including the ceasefire, we are ready to respond with force" if attacked again, Mousavi was quoted as saying by state TV, six days into the ceasefire which US President Donald Trump announced on Tuesday.
13:50 (IST) Jun 29
Argentina condemns Iran's 'threats' against IAEA chief Grossi
Argentina has condemned what it said were threats against UN nuclear watchdog chief and Argentine Rafael Grossi after Iran rejected his request to visit nuclear facilities bombed by Israel and the United States.

Tehran has accused Grossi of "betrayal of his duties" for not condemning the Israeli and US strikes on Iran's nuclear sites this month, and Iranian lawmakers voted to suspend cooperation with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) which he leads.

Argentina's foreign ministry on Saturday expressed its support for Grossi, and said it "categorically condemns the threats against him coming from Iran."

The ministry also urged Iranian authorities to guarantee the safety of the IAEA chief and his team, and "refrain from any action that could put them at risk," according to a statement on social media platform X.
12:27 (IST) Jun 29
Israeli strikes on south Lebanon kill three: Ministry
Israeli strikes killed three individuals in southern Lebanon on Saturday despite a ceasefire being in effect, authorities reported. The Lebanese Health Ministry stated that an "Israeli enemy" drone strike targeted a car in Kunin, south Lebanon, resulting in the death of one man and injuring another. The Israeli military announced that the strike "eliminated the terrorist Hassan Muhammad Hammoudi," who was responsible for anti-tank missile attacks on Israeli territory during the recent conflict. In a subsequent statement on Saturday, the Health Ministry reported that a motorcycle strike in Mahrouna, near Tyre, caused the deaths of two individuals, including a woman, and wounded one person.
11:17 (IST) Jun 29
Israel army issues evacuation warning for parts of north Gaza
11:07 (IST) Jun 29
Iran judiciary says Israeli strike on Tehran's Evin prison killed 71: Report
09:30 (IST) Jun 29
Israel expresses deep concern over inflammatory, hateful rhetoric at Glastonbury Festival in UK
The Embassy of Israel in the United Kingdom on Saturday expressed deep concern over inflammatory and hateful rhetoric at the Glastonbury Festival.

The embassy specifically highlighted chants such as "Death to the IDF" and "From the river to the sea" as advocating for the dismantling of the State of Israel and the elimination of Jewish self-determination.

The embassy acknowledges freedom of expression as a cornerstone of democracy but emphasised that speech crossing into incitement, hatred, and advocacy of ethnic cleansing must be condemned.

"The Embassy of Israel in the United Kingdom is deeply disturbed by the inflammatory and hateful rhetoric expressed on stage at the Glastonbury Festival. Freedom of expression is a cornerstone of democracy. But when speech crosses into incitement, hatred, and advocacy of ethnic cleansing, it must be called out--especially when amplified by public figures on prominent platforms," Israeli Embassy in the UK stated in a post on X.


09:29 (IST) Jun 29
'Can't undo knowledge, capacity': IAEA chief claims Iran could restart uranium enrichment 'in months'; says it didn't have nuclear weapons

IAEA chief Rafael Grossi warns that Iran could resume uranium enrichment within months, despite recent US and Israeli airstrikes. While Iran doesn't currently possess nuclear weapons, unexplained uranium traces were found at undeclared sites. The IAEA lacks knowledge of the current location of Iran's enriched uranium stockpile, raising concerns about its potential use.

Read full story

07:26 (IST) Jun 29
'Political witch hunt': Trump on continuation of trial against Israeli PM Netanyahu

Donald Trump has strongly defended Benjamin Netanyahu, denouncing the Israeli Prime Minister's corruption trial as a "POLITICAL WITCH HUNT." Trump lauded Netanyahu as a "War Hero" and praised his efforts in countering Iran's nuclear ambitions. He also highlighted Netanyahu's ongoing negotiations with Hamas for hostage release, questioning the timing of the trial amidst such critical diplomatic efforts.

Read full story

01:23 (IST) Jun 29
Israel Iran News Live: Rights groups alarmed as Iran’s spy crackdown targets alleged traitors and dissenters
Iran’s wave of arrests and fast-tracked executions has drawn international concern. Amnesty International condemned the “grossly unfair trials,” warning the campaign risks becoming a wider crackdown on political opposition. With no access to lawyers and ethnic minorities also detained, observers fear the regime is using the security threat to silence critics under the guise of national defence.
01:22 (IST) Jun 29
Israel Iran News Live: Iran launches spy hunt after Israeli attacks
Following Israel’s deadly strikes on June 13, Iran has intensified efforts to root out suspected spies. Authorities have urged citizens to report suspicious behaviour like wearing hats or sunglasses at night. More than 10,000 microdrones were reportedly found in Tehran. Officials claim these drones were used in assassinations of nuclear scientists and other top figures.
01:21 (IST) Jun 29
Israel Iran News Live: Iran slams US rhetoric as mourners chant 'boom, boom, Tel Aviv'
As black-clad crowds filled Tehran’s streets, Iranian state TV showed banners declaring “Boom, boom, Tel Aviv.” The chants followed sharp US criticism of Khamanei, condemned by Iran’s foreign ministry. President Masoud Pezeshkian and Rear Admiral Ali Shamkhani were present, but tensions remain high as back-and-forth strikes with Israel leave the region on edge despite the declared ceasefire.
01:20 (IST) Jun 29
Bagheri, Salami, Tehranchi among Iran's fallen honoured
Major General Mohammad Bagheri, killed with his wife and daughter, was among those honoured. Nuclear scientist Mohammad Mehdi Tehranchi and his wife were also laid to rest. Revolutionary Guards commander Hossein Salami, killed on day one of the conflict, will be buried Sunday. Of the 60 dead, four were women and four were children, state media reported.
01:20 (IST) Jun 29
Israel Iran News Live: Khamanei absent as Iran mourns top military leaders
Iran held a massive state funeral on Saturday for 60 figures killed in its war with Israel, including top generals and scientists. Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamanei did not attend the ceremony, though he had earlier declared “victory” in a video message. Thousands of mourners chanted anti-Israel and anti-US slogans, waving photos of the dead.
A sudden ceasefire between Israel and Iran, facilitated by the Trump administration, has sparked fresh debate over the future direction of US involvement in the Middle East. While the truce has brought a pause to escalating tensions, analysts remain uncertain about how long it will last — or what comes next.

US President Donald Trump, operating largely through a small group of White House advisers and bypassing traditional diplomatic institutions, played a central role in securing the agreement. This unconventional approach has left many questioning the durability of the deal and the strategic goals behind it.

US special envoy Steve Witkoff has since urged a broader peace framework involving Tehran. However, confusion within the Iranian leadership has cast doubt on whether any team on the Iranian side has the authority or unity to negotiate meaningful terms. Despite the uncertainty, unofficial communication channels between the two sides are reportedly active.

The ceasefire followed recent US military strikes on Iranian nuclear facilities. President Trump had earlier claimed that the attacks crippled Iran’s nuclear programme. But a preliminary assessment by American intelligence suggests the strikes caused only limited damage, with several key sites hit but not destroyed.

Iran’s military remains largely intact and still poses a potential threat to US assets in the region, even as both sides publicly commit to the ceasefire for now.

The evolving situation has left many observers cautious, with some warning that the truce could be temporary unless backed by structured negotiations and clearer commitments from both sides.