NEW DELHI: All roads and bylanes leading to Turkman Gate were sealed on Wednesday, with heavy police deployment turning the locality into a high-security zone following an overnight anti-encroachment demolition drive.
Shuttered markets and empty streets replaced the usual chaos, as no one was allowed to pass through the area. Barricades lined the approach roads, and residents of nearby lanes remained confined indoors, lending the otherwise bustling neighbourhood an eerie calm.
The razed structure included a banquet hall (baraat ghar) used for private events, along with a dialysis centre and other diagnostic facilities. MCD officials said the Syed Faiz Elahi mosque was not damaged during the drive and that only illegal structures were removed. Its demolition, carried out by
Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD), began around Tuesday midnight and continued until sunrise. Debris-clearing operations were taken up on Wednesday afternoon.
Following Tuesday night's violence,
Delhi Police and Rapid Action Force (RAF) were deployed in large numbers after a crowd gathered and attempted to disrupt the anti-encroachment drive. Nearly 60 vehicles, including JCB machines, dumpers and other heavy equipment, were deployed for the operation. About 100 labourers, along with additional backup workers, were involved.
Six gas cutters were used, and the area was divided into five sectors — A, B, C, D and E — each assigned a separate team. Ambulances were kept on standby, and portable toilets were arranged for workers so they did not have to leave the site, officials said.
Outside the demolished complex, remnants of the dialysis centre lay scattered — hospital beds, medical equipment, broken furniture and discarded shoes strewn across the rubble in front of the adjoining mosque.
The locals stayed inside, though a few gathered near the police barricades. Some could be seen peering out curiously from their balconies and windows to assess the situation. Salam Ansari (32), who lives with his wife and two children in the DDA flats nearby, said residents did not anticipate such strict restrictions. "We didn't know we would not be allowed to step out. There was chaos late at night and repeated police announcements. We heard noises, but stayed indoors after being alerted about the situation," he said.
While movement was strictly restricted, the residents were allowed to step out only in emergencies. Ansari said he was briefly allowed to cross the barricades to take his younger daughter, who was unwell, to a relative's house in Chandni Chowk.
Shubham Kumar, a migrant worker from Aligarh who has lived in the area for over a decade and works in construction, said a day earlier, there had been talk of a possible demolition. "We usually sleep inside the shop itself. After the announcements, we did not step out. Since our shop is close to the site, we heard the noise through the night," he said.
The action followed a complaint by Save India Foundation, which alleged large portions of Ramlila Maidan near Turkman Gate had been encroached upon and were being used for commercial purposes under the guise of religious and charitable activities, officials said.
In a statement, MCD, the licensee of Ramlila Maidan under L&DO, said it found encroachment over 36,428 sq ft of land, including a banquet hall, other commercial activities, a private diagnostic centre, and portions of the road and footpath, following a joint survey with L&DO and DDA. Acting on Delhi High Court's directions, MCD conducted personal hearings with all stakeholders and concluded that a 1940 lease covered only about 0.2 acres, with no ownership or rights established beyond this area.
In compliance with the HC order, MCD stated it carried out the encroachment removal drive, clearing all illegal constructions while excluding the leased area. An MCD official said two notices had been issued, with the final notice served on Dec 22, and the drive was conducted after the stipulated 15-day period.