Coimbatore jeweller loses 47 lakh to online fraudsters
Coimbatore: A 45-year-old city-based jewellery workshop owner was cheated of Rs46.9 lakh by online fraudsters who lured him with a promise of high returns through share market investments.Police said the victim, who runs a jewellery workshop at Chokkampudur near Selvapuram, accepted a Facebook friend request from an unknown woman in March. "After chatting with him for a few days, she claimed to be a widow and introduced him to online stock market trading stating that she was earning huge profit from it." Later, his phone number was added to a WhatsApp group, where members regularly discussed buying and selling shares of various companies. An unidentified person from the group then contacted the jeweller and persuaded him to invest in the stock market for high returns. Believing them, the jeweller transferred Rs46.89 lakh in several transactions between March and April to various bank accounts provided by the fraudsters. However, the jeweller neither received the promised profits nor was he able to withdraw his principal amount. When he tried to contact the woman on Facebook, her profile and contact details were not accessible. Realizing he had been cheated, the jeweller lodged a complaint with the city cybercrime police, who registered a case on May 15 and initiated an investigation to trace those behind the scam.
Comments
Be the first to share a thought and become theFirst Voiceof this News Article
end of article
In Coimbatore
- Demand and consumption of power go up in Coimbatore region
- Bike ambulances lie idle in TN due to dearth of trained operators
- Crocodile rescued from well near Harur
- Coimbatore to host job fair
- Tamil Nadu Government Music College invites applications for music and dance courses
- Man arrested for raping and impregnating girl near Erode
- Boy murdered by his two friends in Coimbatore
Featured In City
- At 94, Deve Gowda defies age and ailments to stay at heart of politics
- 'Maa, mujhe yahan se le jao, please': Twisha Sharma’s messages to mother before death
- 'Provided Rs 50,000 regularly': Ex-judge counters dowry allegations in Twisha Sharma death case
- 'Ladke jhool nai paate, they are treated as criminals': Ex-judge on Twisha Sharma 'dowry' death
- What happens after a woman makes that helpline call
- Pune horror: Four men arrested after lawyer complains of sexual harassment in car
- TN govt, GCC council relationship on the rocks, civic projects may take a hit
Photostories
- Traditional Indian cooling methods that still work today
- Last chance! 5 tiger safaris to experience in India before the wildlife season ends in June
- Navjot Singh Sidhu’s ₹25 crore luxury mansion in Amritsar is defined by cricket success, ancient trees, and palace-style interiors
- Who is Josh Heuston? Inside the rise of 'Off Campus' breakout star Justin Kohl
- Art quote of the day by Pablo Picasso: "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life"
- From samosas to dokla: 10 common Indian snacks and how many calories they contain
- What Gurukul education taught children that modern schools often miss
- PCOS isn’t only a fertility issue anymore: The hidden metabolic risks women must know
- Huma Qureshi closed Cannes 2026 with a show-stopping velvet moment
- Thought of the day inspired by Bhagavad Gita: Let go without losing compassion
Videos
03:19 “Fuel Prices Rise Again”: Petrol, Diesel Rates Hiked Across India Amid Global Oil Surge03:19 Tamil Nadu CM Vijay Pays Tribute To Former LTTE Chief Prabhakaran On Death Anniversary- India’s Agni Missile Journey: Could Agni-VI Become A 10,000 KM ICBM?
03:04 Suvendu Adhikari Says ED Granted Sanction To Prosecute Sandeep Ghosh In R.G. Kar Case03:07 Norwegian Reporters Question India On Trust And PM Modi’s Media Interactions During Oslo Visit07:07 India Invites Norway For Big Investment Push In Shipbuilding And Green Energy Sectors09:09 'Time Has Come': Suvendu's 'Deportation' Warning In Bhabanipur, Vows Action Over Kolkata Violence04:43 Delhi High Court Denies Interim Relief To Vinesh Phogat, Wrestler Barred From Asian Games Trials- “India Is Now Naxal-Free”: Home Minister Amit Shah Declares End Of Maoist Insurgency From Bastar
Hot Picks
Top Trends
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media