Bareilly: Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) has told the central information commission (CIC) that it does not have any records clarifying whether the Shahi Jama Masjid in Sambhal was constructed after demolishing an earlier structure or on vacant land.
The clarification came in response to an RTI application moved by Delhi-based lawyer Satya Prakash Yadav, who sought details on the 16th-century structure, including whether it replaced any temple or ruins, the landowner at the time of its reported construction in 1526, and documents establishing ownership rights.
In its written response, ASI said no such information was available in its records. During the appeal before CIC on Feb 23, the applicant argued that key information had been wrongly denied on the ground of non-availability.
In response, the agency submitted that it had shared all the documents on file and "cannot be directed to generate or gather information that it does not maintain".
After considering the submissions, the commission declined to intervene further and dismissed the appeal, observing that the ASI's response was in line with the provisions of RTI Act.
Sambhal Jama Masjid has remained a matter of dispute since Nov 2024, when a local civil court ordered a survey of the mosque on a petition by Hindu groups alleging that the structure was built after demolishing a temple.
Violence broke out during the survey, leaving four people dead and several others, including police personnel, injured.
Reacting to the latest developments, mosque president Zafar Ali said all necessary records have already been placed before the high court and ASI through due legal process. Mohammad Jamal Akhtar, an advocate, said many historical religious sites lack original title documents but are well documented in archival records, and stressed that such matters should be addressed with restraint and strictly within the framework of law.