Kolhapur: The Maharashtra State Contractors' Association, along with the State Engineers Association, the Maharashtra State Water Supply Contractors Association, the Maharashtra State Jeevan Pradhikaran Sanghatana, and contractors from various departments across 35 districts, have announced an indefinite work stoppage from April 6 to protest pending payments of Rs 77,600 crore from state govt.
Milind Bhosale, president of the Maharashtra State Contractors Association, said contractors across departments were awaiting dues amounting to Rs 77,600 crore. He alleged large-scale irregularities in the tendering process, claiming that administrative decisions on approved works were being influenced by public representatives for financial gain. "Smaller contractors are being projected as entrepreneurs to secure low-interest loans from financial institutions, while punitive conditions, fines and frequent cancellations continue to burden contractors," he alleged.
The associations warned that if the CM and the authorities concerned did not initiate discussions or find a resolution, contractors would halt all development works indefinitely from April 6. "Contractors are crucial to the state's development. Many are facing severe financial stress, and businesses are on the verge of collapse. All pending payments must be cleared by March 31," Bhosale said.
State secretary of the Contractors Association, Sunil Nagrale, said no new work had been sanctioned across departments for the past 15 months, resulting in halted payments for completed projects and no new projects to sustain operations. "This has pushed businesses and dependent livelihoods into distress. A clear policy must be finalised. There is also an urgent need for laws to curb political interference and the psychological and financial harassment by administrative agencies and officials," he added.