MP firecracker unit blast: Factory owner Mukesh Vij arrested after returning from China
INDORE: Dewas police on Thursday arrested the main accused and alleged owner behind the Tonk Kalan firecracker factory blast that claimed six lives earlier this month.
The accused, Mukesh Vij, was taken into custody from New Delhi airport moments after he landed from Guangzhou in China. One other was also arrested.
Dewas SP Puneet Gehlod said Mukesh Vij had been absconding since the explosion at the illegal firecracker unit in Tonk Kolan area of Dewas district, where a massive blast ripped through the factory, killing six workers and leaving several others injured. Investigators consider him one of the key persons responsible for the operations of the factory where the fatal explosion took place.
Acting on a Look Out Circular (LOC) issued against him, a special Dewas police team stationed at the airport intercepted Vij after his arrival on Thursday morning. Another absconding accused, Mahesh Chauhan of Uttarakhand, was also arrested from Delhi during the ongoing investigation.
The arrests are part of an intensified crackdown launched under the supervision of Dewas SP Puneet Gehlod, who constituted a 13-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the case, trace the absconding accused and collect technical and scientific evidence. Police had also announced a reward of Rs 10,000 each on the absconding accused.
A day after the blast, police had arrested factory licence holder Anil Malviya and main contractor Mohammad Ayaz. Two days ago, factory co-operator Kapil Vij was also arrested from Delhi.
Police teams have been conducting continuous raids in Delhi and other states to track those linked to the factory’s ownership, management and procurement network. Senior officers said the investigation is examining all aspects of the firecracker unit, including licensing violations, storage of explosive material and operational lapses that led to the deadly blast.
Dewas SP Puneet Gehlod said Mukesh Vij had been absconding since the explosion at the illegal firecracker unit in Tonk Kolan area of Dewas district, where a massive blast ripped through the factory, killing six workers and leaving several others injured. Investigators consider him one of the key persons responsible for the operations of the factory where the fatal explosion took place.
Acting on a Look Out Circular (LOC) issued against him, a special Dewas police team stationed at the airport intercepted Vij after his arrival on Thursday morning. Another absconding accused, Mahesh Chauhan of Uttarakhand, was also arrested from Delhi during the ongoing investigation.
The arrests are part of an intensified crackdown launched under the supervision of Dewas SP Puneet Gehlod, who constituted a 13-member Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the case, trace the absconding accused and collect technical and scientific evidence. Police had also announced a reward of Rs 10,000 each on the absconding accused.
A day after the blast, police had arrested factory licence holder Anil Malviya and main contractor Mohammad Ayaz. Two days ago, factory co-operator Kapil Vij was also arrested from Delhi.
Police teams have been conducting continuous raids in Delhi and other states to track those linked to the factory’s ownership, management and procurement network. Senior officers said the investigation is examining all aspects of the firecracker unit, including licensing violations, storage of explosive material and operational lapses that led to the deadly blast.
Comments
Be the first to share a thought and become theFirst Voiceof this News Article
end of article
In Indore
- MP firecracker unit blast: Factory owner Mukesh Vij arrested after returning from China
- MP’s first integrated fish farming aqua park opens in Khandwa
- Two children killed, parents seriously injured in car-bike collision
- Chemists ride horse carts, e-rickshaws in Khargone to protest against online drug trade
- 2 killed, 10 injured in accident in Dewas
- MP transporters back nationwide strike, halt Delhi-bound loading for 3 days
- Heatwave alert remains in Indore for two more days, relief likely by weekend
Featured In City
- Twisha Sharma's family to approach Jabalpur HC seeking cancellation of mother-in-law's anticipatory bail
- IIT Bombay placements 2024–25: Fewer offers, higher salaries despite global hiring
- BMC empties Bandra Talao to revive the heritage lake
- Vet university in Punjab's Ludhiana develops scientific backyard poultry model to boost rural livelihoods
- Air like a furnace, streets empty: Heat hits you first as you enter world’s hottest city Banda
- Air like a furnace, streets empty: Heat hits you first as you enter world’s hottest city Banda
- Meet Marie Wilson: Jeppiaar Institute MD gets key finance portfolio in Vijay’s Tamil Nadu cabinet
Photostories
- Love nail art but nails keep breaking? Use rice water this way if you want STRONG NAILS
- 10 ways to stay calm under pressure, as per psychology
- The best flowers, herbs, and vegetables to plant in June in the UK
- From Sapera to Irulas: Famous snake tribes of India and why they fascinate travellers from the world over
- 6 beverages a Harvard doctor drinks to keep his gut healthy
- Love quote of the day by Maya Angelou: "First best is falling in love, second best is..."
- Kylie Jenner's home is where old Hollywood glam meets neutral calm: Art inspirations to take away
- "Main khud ek karz..." When PM Narendra Modi thanked tea-garden workers and why he can't enjoy chai like before
- Why your feet suddenly swell after sitting too long and what your body may be trying to warn you about
- 7 foods to always keep in the freezer and why
Videos
06:13 India Pushes Nuclear Expansion And SMR Manufacturing In Major Talks With US Delegation- Rs 600 Crore Railway Land Clearance In Mumbai Triggers Violence During Eviction Drive
- Bengal Orders Mandatory Singing Of ‘Vande Mataram’ In All Recognised Madrasahs Across State
04:19 PM Modi Returns From Europe, Calls Crucial Ministerial Meeting Amid West Asia Crisis- TMC Faces Double Setback As MLAs Skip Protest And Councillors Resign In Two Municipalities
- Falta Re-Poll Begins After Irregularities; Voters Say They Can Finally Vote Without Fear
- TMC Alleges Post-Poll Violence, Harassment Of Workers During Kolkata Protest
- Modi-Meloni Talks Boost India-Italy Defence, IMEC And Technology Cooperation
03:35 'India Won't Tolerate Any Form Of Nuclear Blackmail': Rajnath Singh In South Korea
Hot Picks
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media