Israel-Lebanon ceasefire extended for 45 days as peace talks continue
Israel and Lebanon have agreed to extend their ceasefire by 45 days after two days of talks in Washington, offering a temporary diplomatic breakthrough in a conflict that has continued to claim lives despite the truce. The extension, announced by the US State Department on Friday, will keep the cessation of hostilities in place beyond its original expiry date on Sunday while fresh political and military negotiations continue in the coming weeks.
US State Department spokesman Tommy Pigott described the talks as “highly productive” and said discussions aimed at reaching a long-term political agreement would resume on June 2 and 3. A separate “security track” involving military officials from both countries is also set to begin at the Pentagon on May 29. Washington said the talks are intended to secure lasting peace, mutual recognition of sovereignty and stronger security arrangements along the Israel-Lebanon border.
The agreement comes amid continuing violence on the ground. Within hours of the ceasefire extension being announced, Israeli strikes hit multiple areas in southern Lebanon, while Hezbollah launched new drone and rocket attacks targeting Israeli military positions. The latest developments have underlined the fragility of the truce even as diplomats push for a broader settlement.
The latest negotiations brought together Israeli and Lebanese delegations in Washington as the United States attempted to prevent a wider regional escalation. Lebanon’s delegation said the extension would provide “critical breathing room” for civilians and create space for discussions aimed at achieving “lasting stability”.
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam also used the moment to criticise Hezbollah indirectly, saying Lebanon had suffered enough from “reckless adventures serving foreign projects or interests”. He said the conflict had led to the occupation of dozens of Lebanese towns and villages by Israeli forces.
Israel’s ambassador to Washington, Yechiel Leiter, who led the Israeli delegation, said the priority remained Israel’s security but added that there was “great” potential for success in the talks despite expected setbacks.
The ceasefire diplomacy is also closely tied to broader tensions involving Iran. Tehran, Hezbollah’s main backer, has insisted that a lasting ceasefire in Lebanon must come before any wider regional agreement with US President Donald Trump.
Despite the diplomatic progress, violence has continued across southern Lebanon. Lebanese authorities said an Israeli strike on a Hezbollah-linked health centre in Hanuf killed six people, including three paramedics. Further strikes in the Tyre district wounded at least 37 people, among them women, children and hospital workers.
Israel said its military operations were targeting Hezbollah infrastructure and fighters. The Israeli military claimed it had killed more than 220 Hezbollah fighters over the past week and struck hundreds of targets. It also confirmed another Israeli soldier had been killed in southern Lebanon, bringing the number of Israeli troops killed since early March to 19.
At the same time, Hezbollah claimed responsibility for multiple operations against Israeli forces, including drone strikes, missile attacks and ambushes targeting tanks and military vehicles in southern Lebanon. The Israel Defense Forces said Hezbollah had also launched anti-tank missiles and mortar shells near areas where Israeli troops were operating.
The United Nations humanitarian coordinator for Lebanon, Imran Riza, warned that the humanitarian situation remained “deeply alarming”, pointing to daily airstrikes and civilian casualties. Still, he expressed hope that the renewed talks could eventually pave the way for a political solution after weeks of escalating violence that has killed nearly 3,000 people in Lebanon since March, according to Lebanese authorities.
The agreement comes amid continuing violence on the ground. Within hours of the ceasefire extension being announced, Israeli strikes hit multiple areas in southern Lebanon, while Hezbollah launched new drone and rocket attacks targeting Israeli military positions. The latest developments have underlined the fragility of the truce even as diplomats push for a broader settlement.
Diplomatic push amid deep divisions
The latest negotiations brought together Israeli and Lebanese delegations in Washington as the United States attempted to prevent a wider regional escalation. Lebanon’s delegation said the extension would provide “critical breathing room” for civilians and create space for discussions aimed at achieving “lasting stability”.
Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam also used the moment to criticise Hezbollah indirectly, saying Lebanon had suffered enough from “reckless adventures serving foreign projects or interests”. He said the conflict had led to the occupation of dozens of Lebanese towns and villages by Israeli forces.
Israel’s ambassador to Washington, Yechiel Leiter, who led the Israeli delegation, said the priority remained Israel’s security but added that there was “great” potential for success in the talks despite expected setbacks.
Strikes continue despite truce extension
Despite the diplomatic progress, violence has continued across southern Lebanon. Lebanese authorities said an Israeli strike on a Hezbollah-linked health centre in Hanuf killed six people, including three paramedics. Further strikes in the Tyre district wounded at least 37 people, among them women, children and hospital workers.
Israel said its military operations were targeting Hezbollah infrastructure and fighters. The Israeli military claimed it had killed more than 220 Hezbollah fighters over the past week and struck hundreds of targets. It also confirmed another Israeli soldier had been killed in southern Lebanon, bringing the number of Israeli troops killed since early March to 19.
At the same time, Hezbollah claimed responsibility for multiple operations against Israeli forces, including drone strikes, missile attacks and ambushes targeting tanks and military vehicles in southern Lebanon. The Israel Defense Forces said Hezbollah had also launched anti-tank missiles and mortar shells near areas where Israeli troops were operating.
The United Nations humanitarian coordinator for Lebanon, Imran Riza, warned that the humanitarian situation remained “deeply alarming”, pointing to daily airstrikes and civilian casualties. Still, he expressed hope that the renewed talks could eventually pave the way for a political solution after weeks of escalating violence that has killed nearly 3,000 people in Lebanon since March, according to Lebanese authorities.
Comments (4)
D
D J BangaraMost Interacted
4 days ago
Israel has consistently violated all ceasefire obligations and needs to be restrained by the international community. They have be...Read More
1 Reply
3
Reply
Popular from World
- Quote of the day by Queen Elizabeth: “Over the years, those who have seemed to me to be the most happy, contented and fulfilled have always been the people who have lived the most outgoing and unselfish lives.”
- Quote of the day by Amal Clooney: “If you’re a woman lying on the beach in the Maldives, you might want to know that a kilometer away, another woman is...”
- 10 countries with highest anaconda population in the world: From Brazil to French Guiana
- Texas whistleblower asks how H-1Bs live in beautiful, $800,000 houses, blames Biden for giving out loans
- A 93-year-old widow gave $1 billion to a Bronx medical school, and future doctors may never see tuition bills again
end of article
Trending Stories
- Youngest and fastest ever! Vaibhav Sooryavanshi rewrites IPL history in another record-breaking day
- CHSE Odisha Plus 2 result 2026 today; Arts, Science and Commerce results together for first time: Steps to check marksheets on DigiLocker
- How Canada-based ‘suitor’ planned Punjabi singer Inder Kaur’s murder, fled India the same night
- Odisha CHSE 12th Result 2026 Live Updates: Arts, Science, Commerce Plus Two scores today at results.odisha.gov.in from 12:30 PM
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Result 2026 Date & Time: DGE TN Class 10 results tomorrow at 9:30 am on tnresults.nic.in
06:16 'Stored at -4°C, requires -80°C': Cops 'request' family to take Twisha Sharma's 'decomposing' body08:16 Watch: PM Modi's surprise gift for Giorgia Meloni has a very 'Melodi' twist
Featured in world
- 1,700-year-old Roman tombs reveal a dye worth more than gold inside coffins sealed for centuries
- Who is Hardev Virdee? Indian-origin finance expert appointed Chief Strategy Officer at UK's Met police
- Can people be allergic to water? Scientists say this rare condition makes it possible
08:16 Watch: PM Modi's surprise gift for Giorgia Meloni has a very 'Melodi' twist- Did regime change plans in Iran include hardliner who called to 'wipe Israel off the map'?
- Quote of the day by Marcus Aurelius: “It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear…”
Photostories
- "Faltu khana na banaye, agar koi..." CM Yogi Adityanath urges people on being mindful while cooking: 5 tips on how to cook 'right' at home
- How to grow avocado plant in a pot (Simple step-by-step guide for beginners)
- 5 cat breeds that look majestic and regal
- 10 simple work habits that save you hours every week
- PM Narendra Modi’s Italy visit and the ‘Melodi’ Moments
- The snake that “plays dead”: Inside the bizarre defence tactics of hognose snakes
- Aditi Rao Hydari’s home gives a rich mix of culture, comfort, and creativity: 5 ideas to borrow
- Mike Tyson says he caught Brad Pitt with his ex-wife: A look back at every cheating allegation the actor has ever faced
- Through Hubble’s eyes: A journey across the universe
- Success quote of the day by Aristotle: "It is during our darkest moments that..."
Videos
08:48 Putin’s Big Remark During Bilateral With Xi 'Creates Ripples' In US | Watch10:31 US Acknowledges 42 Aircraft Losses, Tehran Warns More Surprises If War Resumes07:11 ‘Race War Now’: San Diego Mosque Gunmen Wore Nazi Symbols, SHOCKING New Details REVEALED13:36 US Signals NATO Military Pullback As Europe Braces For Smaller American War Commitment09:20 ‘One Day Feels Like 3 Autumns…’: Putin-Xi Chemistry On Display After Trump’s Beijing Visit13:46 Iran Flexes Military Might, Issues Shock Warning After Destroying 40+ American Aircraft During War08:00 Trump Warns Nuclear Iran Could Destroy Israel & Put LA At Risk, Hints Fresh Strikes Just Days Away09:11 NATO Fighter Jet Shoots Down Ukrainian Kamikaze Drone Over Estonia In Rare Action08:57 Moscow Returns Nuclear Specialists to Iran’s Bushehr Plant Despite U.S. Threat Of Strikes
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media