US issues travel ban amid massive Ebola outbreak that has killed 100: Here's all about it
In response to a quickly spreading Ebola outbreak, the Trump administration has imposed a US entry ban on foreign travellers who have been to three African countries.
People who have been to the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda or South Sudan in the past 21 days, are not allowed entry into the United States, as per an order issued by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The countries are the centre of an ongoing outbreak of the Ebola virus that is believed to have killed at least 100 people. The ban doesn't apply to US citizens or permanent residents and will remain in place for 30 days.
The order comes after an international Christian aid group confirmed one of its members, an American doctor working in the outbreak zone, is among those confirmed to have an Ebola infection. The organisation, Serge, said that Peter Stafford, a physician who had been working at a hospital in Bunia since 2023, in northeastern DRC, tested positive for the Bundibugyo ebolavirus variant. Two other doctors working for the charity, along with Stafford's wife were also exposed to infected patients.
As of now, Stafford, along with his family and four children, is being relocated to Germany for treatment. Other doctors who were working for the charity at Nyankude Hospital have also been transferred there for observation, though all of them are asymptomatic.
In an order signed by acting CDC head Jay Bhattacharya, the agency said the ban aims to minimise the potential for spillover into the US and to buy officials some time to assess the threat of the outbreak, which was declared a global health emergency by the WHO on Sunday.
The U.S. will also step up health screening, and the CDC will try to contact trace anyone who may have entered the country in recent weeks who could have had any exposure to Ebola.
The outbreak appears to be driven by the Bundibugyo virus, one of several viruses that can cause Ebola. The most notable symptom is viral hemorrhagic fever, which can cause life-threatening internal bleeding. The mortality rate for Bundibugyo is 25 per cent to 50 per cent, according to the CDC, and there is no vaccine or specific therapy for the disease.
The order comes after an international Christian aid group confirmed one of its members, an American doctor working in the outbreak zone, is among those confirmed to have an Ebola infection. The organisation, Serge, said that Peter Stafford, a physician who had been working at a hospital in Bunia since 2023, in northeastern DRC, tested positive for the Bundibugyo ebolavirus variant. Two other doctors working for the charity, along with Stafford's wife were also exposed to infected patients.
As of now, Stafford, along with his family and four children, is being relocated to Germany for treatment. Other doctors who were working for the charity at Nyankude Hospital have also been transferred there for observation, though all of them are asymptomatic.
In an order signed by acting CDC head Jay Bhattacharya, the agency said the ban aims to minimise the potential for spillover into the US and to buy officials some time to assess the threat of the outbreak, which was declared a global health emergency by the WHO on Sunday.
The outbreak appears to be driven by the Bundibugyo virus, one of several viruses that can cause Ebola. The most notable symptom is viral hemorrhagic fever, which can cause life-threatening internal bleeding. The mortality rate for Bundibugyo is 25 per cent to 50 per cent, according to the CDC, and there is no vaccine or specific therapy for the disease.
Comments
Be the first to share a thought and become theFirst Voiceof this News Article
end of article
Featured in Etimes
- Anupam Kher shares mantra for a happy 41-year marriage with Kirron - EXCLUSIVE
- Anupam Kher defends Alia Bhatt amid Cannes trolling
- 4 of Brad Pitt's 6 kids dropped his surname: A look at the family rift
- After Ek Din, Aamir says he slips into depression when films flop
- 'In south they pack up at 6,' Jyotika on Deepika's 8-hour shift row, Sonakshi supports her
- How Thalapathy Vijay brought a unique charm to 'Nanban'
Trending Stories
- Kannada dialogue writer T.G. Nandish passes away at 37 due to cardiac arrest; industry mourns another tragic loss
- "Faltu khana na banaye, agar koi..." CM Yogi Adityanath urges people on being mindful while cooking: 5 tips on how to cook 'right' at home
- Quote of the day by Brad Pitt
- ‘No toilet, no leave, constant pressure’: 25-year-old quits Rs 19 lakh PSU job, says, ‘Ghar mein aisa mahaul tha jaise maine koi crime kar diya’
- Madhavan On Son’s Swimming Move: Actor says Dubai shift boosted Vedaant; worries about early fame
- Top 5 snake-filled waters in New York: From Lake Champlain to Oneida Lake
- Naseeruddin Shah says his sons wake him up at 3am to show him his bad films: 'I would rather sleep'
- 'The Boys' Season 5 Episode 8 finale is finally here
- Celina Jaitly breaks into tears as she prays to Maa Baglamukhi amidst legal battle with husband Peter Haag, prays for reunion with her children, brother Vikrant Jaitly
08:16 A sweet ‘Melodi’ moment: PM Modi gifts Melody toffee to Giorgia Meloni
Photostories
- 8 strange and uncomfortable signs you are going through a quiet spiritual awakening
- 8 giraffe facts that shock even wildlife lovers
- 10 exercises that can keep the heart healthy
- Nidhi Kumar recreated Madhuri Dixit’s magic at Cannes 2026's red carpet — and the internet is officially obsessed
- 5 heaviest and biggest birds on earth: The real heavyweights of nature
- Want to grow Aloe vera indoors? Simple step-by-step guide to grow the succulent for beginners
- From '3 Idiots 2' to 'Tumbbad 2': 5 Bollywood sequels that have fans counting down the days
- 6 incredible animals that are found only in India, and where tourists can see them
- Who needs international couture? Aditi Rao Hydari shut down Cannes in a Rs 24K dress
- 5 clever ways to repurpose old socks
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media