Eyewitness helps police skip fire experts’ probe in Bhiwapur fire case
Nagpur: The Nagpur Rural police's plan to rope in experts from National Fire Services College to determine cause of the blaze that gutted 25 hutments in Dhamangaon village in Bhiwapur taluka earlier this month was shelved after the investigators got crucial eyewitness account that clearly established the sequence of events.Officials from National Fire Services College also stated that they had not received any communication from the police regarding the incident.The fire broke out on May 2 and was traced to an act of stubble burning by a farmer, who allegedly set fire to agricultural residue in his field and left for weekly market without ensuring it was fully extinguished. What began as a routine farm activity escalated into a major disaster when strong winds and a sudden storm carried embers to densely-packed hutments nearby.According to police officials, breakthrough in the investigation came within 24 hours of the incident when an eyewitness came forward with a detailed account of how the fire started and spread. "Initially, there were no eyewitnesses, and we had readied a proposal to involve experts from National Fire Services College. But during the investigation, we came across a crucial eyewitness, and the plan was dropped," said a senior police officer. Police said the eyewitness accounts described in detail how the accused farmer ignited stubble and left without supervising the smouldering remains. These statements, recorded by Bhiwapur police, helped establish a clear sequence of events and a direct link between the act of negligence and the subsequent devastation.Officials said the testimony was strong enough to proceed with legal action without external technical input. "The statements provided sufficient evidence to prepare detailed charge sheet, which is being compiled. The accused farmer has already been arrested," the official told TOI.While 25 hutments were completely gutted, two senior citizens sustained burns while attempting to escape but were rescued in time and are now reported to be stable. Several livestock animals also perished in the blaze, adding to the losses.Investigators also noted that unusually strong winds and sudden weather changes during summer played a significant role in the rapid spread of the flames, a fact supported by multiple eyewitness accounts. The combination of dry conditions, gusty winds, and closely built structures left villagers with little time to respond after the fire intensified.Following the incident, district administration has banned stubble burning to prevent similar disasters. Officials are also planning awareness campaigns to educate farmers about safer and more sustainable methods of disposing of agricultural residue.For the affected families, many of whom have lost their homes and belongings, the focus now is on recovery and rebuilding. The incident has once again highlighted the dangers of stubble burning, a practice still widely followed in parts of Vidarbha despite repeated warnings from authorities.
Comments
Be the first to share a thought and become theFirst Voiceof this News Article
end of article
In Nagpur
- Smoke break turns fatal: Youth murdered by gang
- AIESL turns to retirees & newbies as stir halts ops
- MSEDCL starts providing power connections at Gond Basti on ‘humanitarian grounds’
- Thakre Shunted, Gudadhe Is City Cong President
- MSEDCL’s Rs322 crore ‘smart system’ claims fall flat as Nagpur grapples with long power cuts
- Vidarbha skipper Harsh gets India call for Afghanistan series, brings joy to Nagpur
- High court upholds undertrial prisoner’s right to education
Featured In City
- BJP slams Akhilesh over ‘PDA audit’
- CM orders strict action against drunk driving, overspeeding & illegal vehicles
- BJP at the helm of ‘reservation scam’ in UP, alleges Akhilesh
- Chaudhary slams Rahul over ‘traitors’ remark
- A climb of courage & conquest: 10yrs of UP IPS officer’s Everest feat
- Hold NEET twice a year & online to stop leaks, says coaching association
- Supriya & NCP (SP) state chief lay to rest merger talks, quell uncertainty in party
Photostories
- 8 strange and uncomfortable signs you are going through a quiet spiritual awakening
- 8 giraffe facts that shock even wildlife lovers
- Gauranga Das shares 3 signs of a loyal partner
- 10 exercises that can keep the heart healthy
- Feeling Stressed? Try These Astrological Tips to Calm Down Your Mind
- Nidhi Kumar recreated Madhuri Dixit’s magic at Cannes 2026's red carpet — and the internet is officially obsessed
- 5 heaviest and biggest birds on earth: The real heavyweights of nature
- Want to grow Aloe vera indoors? Simple step-by-step guide to grow the succulent for beginners
- How to Boost Your Self-Confidence? Here Are Some Astrological Remedies
- Saffron milk skin benefits: Why the internet is obsessed with this beauty drink
Videos
03:35 'India Won't Tolerate Any Form Of Nuclear Blackmail': Rajnath Singh In South Korea03:21 Who Is Ryan Williams? Footballer Who Gave Up Australian Citizenship To Play For India04:22 Congress To Join Tamil Nadu Cabinet After 59 Years As Vijay Expands TVK Government05:53 India, Italy Elevate Ties; PM Modi's 'Melody' Gift To Meloni Goes Viral | Headlines@905:42 Parle Industries Shares Jump 5% After Modi-Meloni’s ‘Melody’ Moment, But There’s A Catch- Italy PM Giorgia Meloni Speaks Hindi During Joint Presser With PM Modi | Viral ‘Melodi’ Moment
04:04 'Anarchic Mindset': BJP Slams Rahul Gandhi For 'Traitors' Remark On PM Modi, Amit Shah03:52 'Warned India of Economic Storm, Then Flew to Italy on ₹4,000 Crore Jet': Rahul Gandhi Slams PM Modi03:27 India Successfully Tests Suryastra Precision Rocket System With 300-Km Strike Capability
Hot Picks
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media