'Buy from US or go take it from the Strait': Trump's suggestion to nations hit by oil shock due to Hormuz crisis

'Buy from US or go take it from the Strait': Trump's suggestion to nations hit by oil shock due to Hormuz crisis
US President Donald Trump on Wednesday (local time) suggested that countries facing fuel shortages during the ongoing war with Iran should either buy oil from the United States or take stronger steps to secure supplies, going to the Strait o Hormuz, themselves. Speaking in a prime-time address at 9 pm EDT from the White House’s Cross Hall, Trump said, “To those countries that can’t get fuel, many of which refused to get involved in the decapitation of Iran, I have a suggestion: Number 1, buy oil from the United States. And Number 2, build up some delayed courage, go to the Strait, and just take it, protect it. Iran has been, essentially, decimated. The hard part is done, so it should be easy.
Watch
‘No Israel Without Me’: Trump's Shocking Take On How Terminating Iran Deal Saved The Middle East
Meanwhile, after Trump's address, oil prices jumped almost 4%. WTI Crude jumped to $103.9, rising 3.80%, while Brent Crude soared to $106.0, up 4.74%. Before the speech, prices were down by more than $1, with Brent crude futures falling $1.16, or 1.15%, to $100 per barrel by 1204 GMT. US West Texas Intermediate crude futures also declined, slipping $1.41, or 1.41%, to $98.71 per barrel. Both benchmarks had already ended lower in the previous session as markets waited for signals on whether Washington might scale back its involvement in the conflict.
The US President further added that once the flows resume, gas prices will come down rapidly. Wall Street is also set to see gains once the crisis is over.Trump’s speech was aimed towards updating progress on Washington’s stated war goals, dismantling Iran’s missile production and naval strength, preventing its proxies from destabilising the region, and ensuring Tehran does not secure a nuclear weapon.Trump described the past month of military action under Operation Epic Fury as decisive, saying Iran’s “ability to launch missiles and drones is dramatically curtailed, and their weapons factories and rocket launchers are being blown to pieces.” He claimed the country’s “navy is gone, their air force is in ruins,” and said its leaders “are now dead.” He also added that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps “is being decimated as we speak.More than a month after the United States launched strikes alongside Israel, US President Donald Trump delivered his first prime-time address since the operations began.His remarks come as the Middle East crisis enters its second month, with Iran continuing to tighten its chokehold over the Strait of Hormuz, disrupting energy flows globally. The conflict has continued to intensify through this period, with Iran carrying out attacks on Israel and countries in the Persian Gulf, even as airstrikes have struck Tehran.
author
About the AuthorTOI Business Desk

The TOI Business Desk is a vigilant and dedicated team of journalists committed to delivering the latest and most relevant business news from around the world to readers of The Times of India. The primary focus of the TOI Business Desk is to keep a watchful eye on the global business landscape, covering a wide spectrum of industries, markets, economic trends, in-depth analysis, exclusive reports and breaking stories that impact businesses and economies. With a mission to provide valuable insights and updates, the desk ensures that TOI readers are well-informed about the ever-changing and dynamic world of commerce and can navigate the complexities of the business world.

End of Article
Follow Us On Social Media