‘No limits, no transparency, no controls’: US accuses China of covert nuclear tests as New START expires
The United States on Friday accused China of secretly carrying out nuclear explosive tests, even as Washington and Moscow acknowledged the need to urgently begin fresh arms control talks following the expiry of the last remaining US–Russia nuclear treaty.
The accusation came as US officials renewed pressure on Beijing to be part of any future nuclear arms agreement.
US secretary of state Marco Rubio said an arms control framework that does not include China would leave the United States and its allies “less safe”, pointing to what he described as China’s rapidly expanding nuclear arsenal.
Speaking at the UN-backed Conference on Disarmament in Geneva, top US arms control official Thomas DiNanno said China had conducted covert nuclear tests and attempted to conceal them.
“The US government is aware that China has conducted nuclear explosive tests, including preparing for tests with designated yields in the hundreds of tons,” he said, according to news agency AP.
DiNanno alleged that China’s military sought to hide the activity because it knew such tests violated commitments to suspend nuclear testing.
China strongly rejected the claims. Ambassador Shen Jian called the allegations “false narratives and unfounded accusations”, insisting Beijing continues to honour its pledge to suspend nuclear testing.
He said US criticism was aimed at shifting responsibility for nuclear disarmament and justifying what he described as American “nuclear hegemony”, reported AP.
The sharp exchange came a day after the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) formally expired, removing limits on the world’s two largest nuclear arsenals for the first time in more than 50 years. The agreement had capped each side at 1,550 deployed nuclear warheads.
According to the Kremlin, Russian and US negotiators meeting in Abu Dhabi discussed the future of nuclear arms control and agreed on the need to launch talks quickly.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said both sides understood the importance of acting responsibly and beginning negotiations “as soon as possible”, as per AP.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has offered to stick to New START limits for another year if Washington does the same, but US President Donald Trump has not accepted the proposal.
Trump has instead argued for a new and broader agreement that includes China.
Asked about reports of a possible informal extension of the treaty limits, Peskov dismissed the idea, saying any extension would need to be formal. Meanwhile, the US and Russia have agreed to restore high-level military-to-military dialogue, which had been suspended since 2021.
Washington says China’s growing nuclear stockpile makes its inclusion essential. Rubio wrote that China’s arsenal had increased from the low 200s to more than 600 warheads since 2020 and could cross 1,000 by 2030.
“As we sit here today, China’s entire nuclear arsenal has no limits, no transparency, no declarations and no controls”, DiNanno added.
China, however, has refused to join disarmament talks at this stage. Shen said Beijing’s nuclear capabilities were not comparable to those of the US or Russia and urged the two biggest nuclear powers to shoulder primary responsibility for disarmament.
He also expressed regret over the expiry of New START and called on Washington to accept Moscow’s offer to temporarily maintain its limits.
Russia and the US together control over 80 per cent of the world’s nuclear warheads, while China’s arsenal is expanding faster than any other country’s.
The lapse of New START has raised fears of a renewed nuclear arms race, with no binding framework now in place to restrain the most destructive weapons.
Despite these concerns, big differences remain over the shape of any future agreement, with Washington pushing for a three-way deal, Moscow suggesting other nuclear powers be included, and Beijing refusing to take part for now.
US secretary of state Marco Rubio said an arms control framework that does not include China would leave the United States and its allies “less safe”, pointing to what he described as China’s rapidly expanding nuclear arsenal.
Speaking at the UN-backed Conference on Disarmament in Geneva, top US arms control official Thomas DiNanno said China had conducted covert nuclear tests and attempted to conceal them.
DiNanno alleged that China’s military sought to hide the activity because it knew such tests violated commitments to suspend nuclear testing.
China strongly rejected the claims. Ambassador Shen Jian called the allegations “false narratives and unfounded accusations”, insisting Beijing continues to honour its pledge to suspend nuclear testing.
He said US criticism was aimed at shifting responsibility for nuclear disarmament and justifying what he described as American “nuclear hegemony”, reported AP.
New START expires, Russia and US discuss next steps
The sharp exchange came a day after the New Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) formally expired, removing limits on the world’s two largest nuclear arsenals for the first time in more than 50 years. The agreement had capped each side at 1,550 deployed nuclear warheads.
According to the Kremlin, Russian and US negotiators meeting in Abu Dhabi discussed the future of nuclear arms control and agreed on the need to launch talks quickly.
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said both sides understood the importance of acting responsibly and beginning negotiations “as soon as possible”, as per AP.
Russian President Vladimir Putin has offered to stick to New START limits for another year if Washington does the same, but US President Donald Trump has not accepted the proposal.
Trump has instead argued for a new and broader agreement that includes China.
Asked about reports of a possible informal extension of the treaty limits, Peskov dismissed the idea, saying any extension would need to be formal. Meanwhile, the US and Russia have agreed to restore high-level military-to-military dialogue, which had been suspended since 2021.
China rejects talks
Washington says China’s growing nuclear stockpile makes its inclusion essential. Rubio wrote that China’s arsenal had increased from the low 200s to more than 600 warheads since 2020 and could cross 1,000 by 2030.
“As we sit here today, China’s entire nuclear arsenal has no limits, no transparency, no declarations and no controls”, DiNanno added.
China, however, has refused to join disarmament talks at this stage. Shen said Beijing’s nuclear capabilities were not comparable to those of the US or Russia and urged the two biggest nuclear powers to shoulder primary responsibility for disarmament.
He also expressed regret over the expiry of New START and called on Washington to accept Moscow’s offer to temporarily maintain its limits.
Russia and the US together control over 80 per cent of the world’s nuclear warheads, while China’s arsenal is expanding faster than any other country’s.
The lapse of New START has raised fears of a renewed nuclear arms race, with no binding framework now in place to restrain the most destructive weapons.
Despite these concerns, big differences remain over the shape of any future agreement, with Washington pushing for a three-way deal, Moscow suggesting other nuclear powers be included, and Beijing refusing to take part for now.
Top Comment
R
Rajeev S
6 hours ago
China plays long game. During early 2000s it started building military strength calling it peaceful rise. Post 2015, it started creating artificial island in south China sea and claimed whole of South China sea as Chinese area. Post 2020, it now threatens not just USA but whole world with its military and economic muscle. However China's so-called peaceful rise was backed by West especially US to sideline and marginalize countries like Russia and India. Now China aligns with Russia making this alliance difficult to control. American missteps with regards to China will have devastating effects in future.Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Suicide blast rocks Pak: At least 31 killed, over 160 hurt in explosion at packed Shia meeting hall
- 'Blew himself up after being stopped at gate': What we know about Pakistan suicide bomb blast
- Donald Trump's racist attack on Obamas: Why monkey portrayals of Black folks are considered deeply offensive
- Donald Trump posts AI video depicting Barack and Michelle Obama as monkeys; Democrats condemn post as racist
- Suicide blast in Pakistan: Videos shows chaos outside Islamabad's Imambargah after deadly explosion
end of article
Trending Stories
- Milwaukee Bucks vs Indiana Pacers (02-06-2026) game preview: When and where to watch, expected lineup, injury report, prediction, and more
- When was the last New England Patriots Super Bowl win? A look back at their most recent title
- “I felt terrible”: Olympian Chloe Kim opens up about the darkest days of her life amid romance with Myles Garrett
- How a single vote cost Drake Maye the NFL MVP to Matthew Stafford
- Pariksha Pe Charcha 2026 Live: What are the number of registrations?
- India beat England by 100 runs to clinch record sixth U-19 World Cup title
- “I don’t know about that”: Cooper DeJean finally addresses Nikki Bella dating buzz after viral WWE Raw moment in Philadelphia
Featured in world
- Epstein’s deathbed will: Who stood to inherit multimillion-dollar fortune, and what about the victims?
- US accuses China of secret N-tests in 2020
- Norway's Crown Princess apologises for Epstein link, says she did not understand who he was; husband backs her
- Chicago woman shooting: Judge allows release of video, Border Patrol agent’s texts who shot her five times
- Obama ‘monkey’ video: From birtherism to the Nobel Prize — why Donald Trump is so obsessed with Barack Obama
- Winter Olympics Team GB skier uses urine to write an anti-ICE message on snow
Photostories
- Weekend Binge: After the ‘Ghooskhor Pandat’ row, films that sparked title controversies
- 6 sacred towns along the Ganges
- Did you know? This indigenous Assamese craft is India’s best-kept heritage secret
- Zendaya’s fashion evolution: A journey from girly pop to red carpet icon
- 5 homemade, chemical-free ant killer sprays; effective DIY methods
- Inside Rohit Sharma’s premium car collection: 5 high-end luxury cars he owns
- 10 iconic rajma dishes enjoyed across the globe
- Apple TV shows to look forward to in 2026: ‘Imperfect Women’, ‘Margo’s Got Money Troubles’ and more
- Prince Narula, Tejasswi Prakash, and more: Can you guess these reality TV stars from their childhood pics
- The mystery behind Leonardo da Vinci’s lost masterpieces and what historians say
Videos
07:24 Trump 'STRIKES' Iran Minutes After Nuke Talks; US Slaps New Oil Sanctions, 14 Tankers Hit | Watch07:42 ‘WON’T GIVE UP’: Iran Cleric’s NUCLEAR Warning As Araghchi ‘Forces’ US To Keep Missiles Out Of Talks08:21 Trump's Meme Backfires; US Pres. Deletes Video Of Obamas As Monkeys | White House Blames Staffer08:34 Iran Bets On POWER As US War Looms; Rapidly Rebuilds Missiles As Nuke Sites Remain Quiet | Report07:01 ‘NO ICE IN MILAN’: Italians EXPLODE But Meloni Downplays Anger Against Trump's Agents | ‘Surreal’12:49 Greenland Rerun? Putin & Xi's Fear SPOOKS NATO Nation; Norway Raises Red Flag Over Svalbard09:54 Carney & Macron DARE Trump; Canada, France Open Consulates In Greenland To Oppose 'Capture Dream'10:31 US Ally Hardens Stand Against Trump Amid Russia, China Backing For Cuba | 'Mexico Won't Surrender'12:12 Putin Puts Trump In A Fix Over Nuclear Treaty For Getting China Involved | ‘Add France & UK Also’
Up Next