Senior Hezbollah commander killed by Israel in Beirut suburbs: source close to group
BEIRUT: A senior commander from Hezbollah's elite force was killed in an Israeli strike on Beirut's southern suburbs on Wednesday, the first on the area in nearly a month, a source close to the group said.
At least 11 other people were killed in strikes across the south and east, according to the Lebanese health ministry.
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his military had targeted "the commander of Hezbollah's Radwan force".
The source close to Hezbollah told AFP on condition of anonymity that "Malek Ballout, the operations commander in the Radwan force" was killed.
Lebanon's state-run National News Agency had reported that "Israeli warplanes launched an attack, targeting Ghobeiri" in the southern suburbs, a Hezbollah stronghold.
An AFP correspondent saw a building covered in rubble following the strike, as people left the area with their belongings.
Many of the southern suburbs' residents had already left after Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the Middle East war in March, and have not returned despite the truce in force since April 17.
A Lebanese security source told AFP on condition of anonymity that the strike hit an apartment in which Radwan leaders were holding a meeting.
Beirut and its southern suburbs had been spared Israeli attacks since April 8, when massive Israeli strikes across the country killed more than 350 people.
Wednesday's attack came as US President Donald Trump said there was "a very good chance" of sealing a peace deal with Iran.
Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon, particularly the south, since the truce, with Hezbollah retaliating by launching attacks on Israeli troops.
The Israeli military said in a statement Thursday that an "explosive drone impact" wounded four soldiers -- one severely -- in southern Lebanon the previous day.
Continued attacks
At least 11 people were killed in earlier Israeli strikes on southern and eastern Lebanon, the Lebanese health ministry said.
In Saksakiyeh, four people were killed and 33 wounded, including six children and four women.
The NNA also reported strikes across the south, including several on the town of Yater.
Israeli strikes on Lebanon have killed more than 2,700 people and displaced more than a million, particularly from southern and eastern Lebanon and Beirut's southern suburbs, since March 2.
World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday it had "verified 152 attacks on healthcare that resulted in 103 deaths and 241 injuries".
"These attacks have resulted in the closure of three hospitals and 41 primary health centres and caused damage to a further 16 hospitals."
The terms of the ceasefire allow Israel to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks" by Hezbollah.
Visiting troops in southern Lebanon, where Israel has established a "yellow line", Israeli army chief Eyal Zamir said they will "seize every opportunity to deepen the dismantling of Hezbollah and continue weakening it".
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu said his military had targeted "the commander of Hezbollah's Radwan force".
The source close to Hezbollah told AFP on condition of anonymity that "Malek Ballout, the operations commander in the Radwan force" was killed.
An AFP correspondent saw a building covered in rubble following the strike, as people left the area with their belongings.
Many of the southern suburbs' residents had already left after Hezbollah drew Lebanon into the Middle East war in March, and have not returned despite the truce in force since April 17.
A Lebanese security source told AFP on condition of anonymity that the strike hit an apartment in which Radwan leaders were holding a meeting.
Beirut and its southern suburbs had been spared Israeli attacks since April 8, when massive Israeli strikes across the country killed more than 350 people.
Wednesday's attack came as US President Donald Trump said there was "a very good chance" of sealing a peace deal with Iran.
Israel has repeatedly bombed Lebanon, particularly the south, since the truce, with Hezbollah retaliating by launching attacks on Israeli troops.
The Israeli military said in a statement Thursday that an "explosive drone impact" wounded four soldiers -- one severely -- in southern Lebanon the previous day.
Continued attacks
At least 11 people were killed in earlier Israeli strikes on southern and eastern Lebanon, the Lebanese health ministry said.
In Saksakiyeh, four people were killed and 33 wounded, including six children and four women.
The NNA also reported strikes across the south, including several on the town of Yater.
Israeli strikes on Lebanon have killed more than 2,700 people and displaced more than a million, particularly from southern and eastern Lebanon and Beirut's southern suburbs, since March 2.
World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Wednesday it had "verified 152 attacks on healthcare that resulted in 103 deaths and 241 injuries".
"These attacks have resulted in the closure of three hospitals and 41 primary health centres and caused damage to a further 16 hospitals."
The terms of the ceasefire allow Israel to act against "planned, imminent or ongoing attacks" by Hezbollah.
Visiting troops in southern Lebanon, where Israel has established a "yellow line", Israeli army chief Eyal Zamir said they will "seize every opportunity to deepen the dismantling of Hezbollah and continue weakening it".
Top Comment
M
Mouni Baba
1 day ago
Something WRONG with Israel? Whats taking them so long?Read allPost comment
Popular from World
- Afghanistan’s ‘one-kidney village’ where residents sold organs to survive
- Quote of the day by Plato: “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.”
- Explainer: Can hantavirus outbreak become Covid 2.0?
- Quote of the day by Socrates: “Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people”
- B1/B2 visa update: US Consulate opens priority slots for parents aged 50 years and above
end of article
Trending Stories
- DC vs KKR Live: Finn Allen and Cameron Green steady KKR innings
- Tamil Nadu government formation: Vijay passes first political test with 118 marks - how TVK got the numbers
- West Bengal CM Announcement Live Updates: BJP picks Suvendu Adhikari for top post
- Pooran Grabs Krunal Collar: viral IPL 2026 clip lights up social media; LSG clinch nine-run victory
- Suvendu Adhikari: Ex-Mamata loyalist, who defeated her twice, to be Bengal's 1st BJP CM
- Kerala plus one improvement result 2026 released at results.hse.kerala.gov.in: Direct link to download scorecards here
- WBBSE Madhyamik Result 2026 Live Updates: Check West Bengal Class 10 result date, time, direct link
Featured in world
- Passenger from 'Hanta virus' cruise visited school on remotest island Tristan de Cunha, believed to be infected
- Glow hard: Trump's nuclear threat grows darker in face of Iranian defiance
- Elon Musk’s DOGE mass cancellation of grants based on race and gender criticised by US judge
- US town mayor fires entire police department for upsetting his wife, says he won't block paychecks
- Amazon begins drone deliveries in UK with Darlington pilot programme
- Kash Patel orders lie detector tests for FBI staff to identify who questioned his leadership
Photostories
- Too much cardio after 40? Why women’s bodies may respond differently from men’s
- Do common mice found in homes and gardens can spread hantavirus
- 7 things parents of highly confident children teach them differently
- Coffee vs Green Tea: Which is healthier overall?
- 10 best UNESCO spa towns of Europe where people visit for wellness and healing
- 10 Universities so beautiful, they feel like a journey through time
- Bird Flu outbreak in Maharashtra: How humans can get infected and the symptoms experts want you to watch
- 4 most hostile natural places on Earth — and why tourists still visit them
- 5 curds that aren't your regular Dahi you must try in summer
- How to identify a Black mamba snake in your home and garden
Videos
11:36 ‘Burning Vessels, Drifting Fire’: Hormuz Shipping Lanes EXPLODE After Iran Hits American Warships11:51 UAE Intercepts Iranian Ballistic Missiles As Debris Rains Down On Populated Areas | 3 Injured06:36 Elizabeth Smart Weighs In On Nancy Guthrie Horror As Search Enters Dark New Phase13:13 Iranian Navy Seizes International Oil Tanker In Bold New Display Of Gulf Dominance12:34 Hezbollah Unleashes Deadly Rockets, Pounds IDF Soldiers In Brutal Revenge | Watch09:34 Kremlin On Alert As Putin's Forces Repel Massive Ukrainian Strike, Over 500 UAV Drones Shot Down13:33 Hundreds Of CIA Informants In Iran ‘Exposed & Betrayed’ By United States06:06 German Bank Robbery Goes Full Chaos; Hostage Nightmare Explodes In Rhine Valley08:20 ‘Nazism Will Fail’: Lavrov Accuses European Voices Of Reviving Dangerous Hitler Style Ambitions
Up Next