Khamenei killing planned in November 2025? Inside Netanyahu's 'small forum' plot
Was the plan to kill Ayatollah Ali Khamenei scheduled as early as November 2025 by Israel? Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu had scheduled a mission in a "very small forum" to assassinate Iran’s Supreme Leader back in November, Israeli defence minister Katz said on Thursday.
Khamenei was eventually killed on the last day of February after Israel and the United States launched a high-intensity military campaign against Iran.
Katz added that the timeline for the strike was accelerated due to massive anti-regime protests in the Islamic Republic, which created conditions that were favourable for the United States and Israel to carry out the operation in Iran.
Katz made the statements during a round of interviews with Hebrew-language media outlets. Speaking to Channel 12, Katz said that in November 2025, a select group of officials held talks with Netanyahu “in a very small forum” on the possibility of assassinating Khamenei, who was killed in an Israeli strike on Saturday, the first day of the current US-Israeli campaign against the Iranian regime.
Israel Katz said that Israel had initially planned to launch an operation targeting Ali Khamenei in mid-2026, possibly in June.
According to Katz, Israel did not immediately share the plan with the United States. Jerusalem was operating “under the assumption that we might have to carry it [the assassination] out on our own.”
US-Israel vs Iran: Live updates
However, the situation changed after anti-government protests erupted across Iran at the end of December. Katz said that during this period a “kind of dialogue” developed between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump.
The protests plunged the Islamic Republic into chaos. Thousands of demonstrators were reportedly killed by regime forces, with activist groups estimating the toll to be in the tens of thousands.
Katz said both Israel and the United States were surprised by the scale of the unrest. He explained that the situation raised fears in Israel that the Iranian leadership might launch a pre-emptive strike before Israel could act.
“It surprised everyone. The unrest didn’t just create an opportunity, there was also serious concern at the time that, because of the pressure on the regime from the protests, the regime might launch a preemptive missile strike on Israel and on American forces in the region,” he said.
Amid these developments, discussions about removing the Iranian leadership also began between Washington and Jerusalem.
At that stage, Katz said both countries agreed “on cooperation in defining the objectives” of an operation against Iran. They also started discussions about “creating the conditions for the Iranian people to begin acting to overthrow the regime; we began advancing those objectives.”
According to Katz, coordination between the two allies soon expanded.
“There was joint planning, and afterward a joint operational planning process,” he said.
He rejected suggestions that either country pressured the other into launching the attack, saying both governments acted independently based on their assessment of the threat posed by Iran.
Praising Netanyahu, Katz said he believed “the only person in the world, the only leader who could have created such cooperation with President Trump, is Benjamin Netanyahu.”
During an interview with Israel’s Channel 12, journalist Dana Weiss questioned Katz about why Israel was once again targeting Iran’s nuclear and missile programs despite previous claims that they had been significantly weakened.
“We met here after Operation Rising Lion,” Weiss said. “You probably remember what you said there: ‘I can say for sure that Iran will not have a nuclear weapon as a result of what we did.’”
Weiss noted that Katz had previously said it would take “years” for Iran to rebuild its nuclear and ballistic missile capabilities, yet Israel was again striking those same programs while still facing Iranian missile attacks.
Responding to the criticism, Katz defended the earlier operation.
“We eliminated the Iranian nuclear program as it was and had been for many years,” he said, adding that Israel was now acting to prevent Iran from rebuilding those capabilities.
Asked whether Israel might face another war with Iran within months, Katz avoided giving a clear timeline. Instead, he said the current military campaign was far broader than previous operations.
The ongoing assault on Iran, he said, was using “three times more force” than the earlier conflict.
“I hope this will end with the Iranian people overthrowing the regime,” he said.
In a separate interview with Kan public broadcaster, journalist Suleiman Maswadeh asked Katz whether the war would continue until Iran’s leadership was completely replaced.
Katz said that outcome ultimately depended on the Iranian population.
“The goal is to destroy Iran’s ability to return to its nuclear program, to destroy its ability to return to producing masses of balistic missiles, to destroy its ability to help all of its proxies in the region and to renew its operations to destroy Israel,” Katz said.
“And the issue of the regime’s collapse and replacement, that is something that we expect, and and want to make possible for the people of Iran to carry out.”
Katz’s comments appeared to reflect the broader objectives outlined by Washington. The United States has said the goals of the military campaign include destroying Iran’s ballistic missile capability and naval power, preventing it from acquiring nuclear weapons, and ending its support for regional proxy groups.
At the beginning of the joint US-Israel attacks, Donald Trump also addressed the Iranian public directly.
He urged them to “take over your government” once the military operations are over, adding: “It will be yours to take. This will be probably your only chance for generations.”
Israel Iran War
- US-Israel-Iran War Live Updates: 'Indian navy's guest struck without warning': Iran slams US after torpedo sinks warship IRIS Dena
- 'Expect painful blows': Iran hints at 'unseen' weapons as war enters 7th day; US-Israel intensifies strikes — key points
- US gives India 30-day waiver to purchase Russian oil amid Middle East crisis
Katz added that the timeline for the strike was accelerated due to massive anti-regime protests in the Islamic Republic, which created conditions that were favourable for the United States and Israel to carry out the operation in Iran.
Katz made the statements during a round of interviews with Hebrew-language media outlets. Speaking to Channel 12, Katz said that in November 2025, a select group of officials held talks with Netanyahu “in a very small forum” on the possibility of assassinating Khamenei, who was killed in an Israeli strike on Saturday, the first day of the current US-Israeli campaign against the Iranian regime.
Israel planned Khamenei strike earlier, timeline later accelerated: Katz
According to Katz, Israel did not immediately share the plan with the United States. Jerusalem was operating “under the assumption that we might have to carry it [the assassination] out on our own.”
US-Israel vs Iran: Live updates
However, the situation changed after anti-government protests erupted across Iran at the end of December. Katz said that during this period a “kind of dialogue” developed between Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US President Donald Trump.
Protests created urgency and security concerns
The protests plunged the Islamic Republic into chaos. Thousands of demonstrators were reportedly killed by regime forces, with activist groups estimating the toll to be in the tens of thousands.
Katz said both Israel and the United States were surprised by the scale of the unrest. He explained that the situation raised fears in Israel that the Iranian leadership might launch a pre-emptive strike before Israel could act.
“It surprised everyone. The unrest didn’t just create an opportunity, there was also serious concern at the time that, because of the pressure on the regime from the protests, the regime might launch a preemptive missile strike on Israel and on American forces in the region,” he said.
Washington and Jerusalem began joint planning
Amid these developments, discussions about removing the Iranian leadership also began between Washington and Jerusalem.
At that stage, Katz said both countries agreed “on cooperation in defining the objectives” of an operation against Iran. They also started discussions about “creating the conditions for the Iranian people to begin acting to overthrow the regime; we began advancing those objectives.”
According to Katz, coordination between the two allies soon expanded.
“There was joint planning, and afterward a joint operational planning process,” he said.
He rejected suggestions that either country pressured the other into launching the attack, saying both governments acted independently based on their assessment of the threat posed by Iran.
Praising Netanyahu, Katz said he believed “the only person in the world, the only leader who could have created such cooperation with President Trump, is Benjamin Netanyahu.”
Questions raised about renewed conflict with Iran
During an interview with Israel’s Channel 12, journalist Dana Weiss questioned Katz about why Israel was once again targeting Iran’s nuclear and missile programs despite previous claims that they had been significantly weakened.
“We met here after Operation Rising Lion,” Weiss said. “You probably remember what you said there: ‘I can say for sure that Iran will not have a nuclear weapon as a result of what we did.’”
Weiss noted that Katz had previously said it would take “years” for Iran to rebuild its nuclear and ballistic missile capabilities, yet Israel was again striking those same programs while still facing Iranian missile attacks.
Responding to the criticism, Katz defended the earlier operation.
“We eliminated the Iranian nuclear program as it was and had been for many years,” he said, adding that Israel was now acting to prevent Iran from rebuilding those capabilities.
Regime change seen as possibility, not primary objective
Asked whether Israel might face another war with Iran within months, Katz avoided giving a clear timeline. Instead, he said the current military campaign was far broader than previous operations.
The ongoing assault on Iran, he said, was using “three times more force” than the earlier conflict.
“I hope this will end with the Iranian people overthrowing the regime,” he said.
In a separate interview with Kan public broadcaster, journalist Suleiman Maswadeh asked Katz whether the war would continue until Iran’s leadership was completely replaced.
Katz said that outcome ultimately depended on the Iranian population.
“The goal is to destroy Iran’s ability to return to its nuclear program, to destroy its ability to return to producing masses of balistic missiles, to destroy its ability to help all of its proxies in the region and to renew its operations to destroy Israel,” Katz said.
“And the issue of the regime’s collapse and replacement, that is something that we expect, and and want to make possible for the people of Iran to carry out.”
US and Israel align on military objectives
Katz’s comments appeared to reflect the broader objectives outlined by Washington. The United States has said the goals of the military campaign include destroying Iran’s ballistic missile capability and naval power, preventing it from acquiring nuclear weapons, and ending its support for regional proxy groups.
At the beginning of the joint US-Israel attacks, Donald Trump also addressed the Iranian public directly.
He urged them to “take over your government” once the military operations are over, adding: “It will be yours to take. This will be probably your only chance for generations.”
Popular from World
- 'Almost all targets achieved': Pak PM Sharif's aide claims success in Afghanistan conflict
- 'Will bitterly regret': Iran warns US after IRIS Dena, 'Indian Navy’s guest', sunk by torpedo
- Indian expat in Sharjah turns millionaire overnight: Wins Dh15 million in Abu Dhabi Big Ticket draw
- Corey Lewandowski and Byron Noem: Kristi Noem's viral remark about rumored boyfriend at meeting attended by husband
- Canada announces $100 million scholarships for Indian students, introduces 'hybrid study locations'
end of article
Trending Stories
- India beat England by 7 runs, set up T20 World Cup final with New Zealand
- US-Israel-Iran War Live Updates: Tanker hit by ‘large explosion’ off Kuwait, causing oil spill; Iran launches missiles at Israel
- MLB trade rumors: New York Yankees could sign $330 million Philadelphia Phillies franchise superstar to form power duo with Aaron Judge
- NFL Trade News: Jerry Jones’ Dallas Cowboys seem interested in $106M Las Vegas Raiders defensive end
- Connor McDavid makes his stance crystal clear as Oilers face crucial trade deadline decisions
- Who is Ross Chastain’s girlfriend? Everything about the NASCAR Cup Series winner’s love life
- India in ‘comfortable position’ on energy amid Middle East crisis; Australia, Canada offer gas supplies: Report
Featured in world
- US-Israel-Iran War Live Updates: Tanker hit by ‘large explosion’ off Kuwait, causing oil spill; Iran launches missiles at Israel
- UAE opens ‘safe air corridors’: Airlines allowed 48 flights per hour amid Middle East tensions
- Dubai's KHDA moves Indian schools to distance learning till term end amid US-Israel war on Iran
- Over 60% turnout as Nepal votes in 'historic' polls powered by Gen Z
- Abu Dhabi on edge: 6 injured as drone debris from Iran and US-Israel conflict crashes into industrial zone
- Who is Zobaidul Amin? Bangladeshi national arrested in US over global child exploitation charges
Photostories
- Could you be low on magnesium? Common warning signs to know, according to doctors
- Janhvi Kapoor birthday special: From ‘Homebound’, ‘Mili’ to ‘Gunjan Saxena’, best performances to watch on OTT
- How to make Kolhapuri Egg Curry for lunch at home
- 5 common mistakes to avoid while making restaurant-style Naan at home
- Mark Zuckerberg buys $170 million mansion in Miami: A look into a tech billionaire’s ultra-luxury abode
- Ice Apple: One of India’s summer favourite fruits and 5 must-try refreshing ‘tadgola’ recipes for scorching heat
- Stop blaming your boss: Dr. Pal’s 5 stress management habits for working professionals to reclaim mental peace
- Foods richer in potassium than bananas: Doctor reveals 6 heart-healthy options that can help support blood pressure naturally
- Bigg Boss Malayalam contestants who split with their partners after the show
- 6 signs your relationship is turning toxic
Videos
12:11 Satellite Images Show Impact Of Iran's Repeated Missile Strikes On US Military Base In Kuwait09:29 Loud Blasts Heard In Abu Dhabi As Dubai Faces Fresh Drone Attack | Iran Goes All-Out13:00 'Trump Knew': Kristi Noem’s Answer To DHS' $220M Ad Campaign That Led To Her Firing I Watch16:05 Iran Claims To Have Hit USS Abraham Lincoln As Clashes With US Intensify13:21 Hezbollah Targets Iron Dome Radar, Rafael Arms Plant And Israeli Air Bases As Tensions Peak10:20 Iran's Ballistic Revenge Shocks Israel, Deadly Khorramshahr Missile Targets Tel Aviv Airport14:20 Iran's Explosive Boats Ram Oil Tankers, 200 Ships Stranded As Oil Prices Surge 14% In Five Days10:45 'Stay Mum, Face…’: Iran Sounds Chilling Threat To EU As Europe Backs Trump's Military Operation08:34 Iraqi Resistance Says U.S. MQ-9 Reaper Shot Down As Militias Enter Iran Conflict
Up Next
Start a Conversation
Post comment