Former UFC star Diego Sanchez has avoided a prison sentence after a long legal process linked to his July 2025 arrest. The 44-year-old appeared in an Albuquerque district court on Thursday, where the judge handed him five years of supervised probation. Prosecutors had asked for a two-year prison term, but the court decided on a lighter punishment considering his guilty plea and personal circumstances. The case had drawn attention due to Sanchez’s past fame in mixed martial arts.
Sanchez had earlier pleaded guilty to a fourth-degree felony charge of shooting from a motor vehicle. The incident reportedly happened when he fired a gun out of his car window while driving past a crash on a highway.
In return for his guilty plea, a second charge related to negligent use of a weapon was dropped. Sanchez admitted his mistake and told the court he had been dealing with mental health issues and substance abuse at the time.
Court chooses probation over prison for UFC star Diego Sanchez
The court heard details about the July incident near Interstate 40 and University Boulevard in Albuquerque. Prosecutors argued that firing a weapon in traffic created a serious risk to public safety.
They pushed for a prison sentence, saying the act showed careless and dangerous behavior with a firearm.
Diego Sanchez’s defense team has highlighted his efforts to improve his life. They told the court that he had been undergoing treatment for substance abuse and mental health issues. Sanchez himself explained that he never meant to harm anyone. He described the act as a poor decision and said he deeply regretted what happened.
Watch
Diego Sanchez avoids jail time after shooting gun out of moving vehicle
In his statement, Sanchez acknowledged his mistake and said he is now focused on staying sober and improving his mental health. He added that he wants to use his experience to guide younger people and encourage them to make better choices. He also mentioned that he had already started treatment and was taking medication after being diagnosed with bipolar disorder.
The judge ultimately decided that probation was appropriate, instead of prison. Under the terms of his sentence, Sanchez must follow strict conditions for five years. Any violation could result in jail time.
Sanchez, who rose to fame after winning The Ultimate Fighter Season 1, fought 22 times in the UFC between 2005 and 2022. Since leaving the promotion, he has only competed once in bare-knuckle boxing in 2023. It remains unclear whether he will return to combat sports following this case.
FAQs 1 Is Diego Sanchez going to prison? No, the court has chosen probation over prison for UFC star Diego Sanchez.
2 Will Diego Sanchez come back to UFC? It remains unclear whether he will return to combat sports following this case.