American football coach Sherrone Moore is once again being talked about across college football. This time, the discussion is not about a game or a championship. It is about whether he can return to coaching after a difficult legal case and a personal controversy that led to his dismissal from the University of Michigan program. Sherrone Moore, 40, recently reached a legal deal in a case connected to an incident at the home of a woman who had earlier worked with him. Prosecutors had first filed serious felony charges, including home invasion and stalking. But those charges were later dropped as part of a plea agreement. Moore agreed to plead no contest to two smaller misdemeanor charges instead.
Because the felony charges were dismissed, people around college football are now wondering if Moore could eventually return to coaching.
His lawyer believes his career may not be over.
Speaking to reporters in Ann Arbor, attorney Ellen Michaels said Moore plans to keep moving forward in life and work. She said, “Here is a man who has devoted himself to working hard to get where he needs to be. And I can tell you that this is a man who will continue his path and continue his journey, and he will do what it takes to get there.” Sherrone Moore’s sentencing on the misdemeanor charges is scheduled for April 14, according to court records reported by the Daily Mail.
Sherrone Moore’s legal case, alleged relationship with staffer, and how his coaching career at Michigan rose under Jim Harbaugh
Before the controversy, Sherrone Moore had built a strong reputation in college football. He played offensive line at the University of Oklahoma before moving into coaching.
His coaching journey started at Louisville as a graduate assistant. He later worked under head coach Charlie Strong. Moore also coached at Central Michigan before joining Michigan’s staff in 2019 under Jim Harbaugh.
During that time, Moore helped Michigan’s offense grow stronger. In 2023, the team won the national championship while he served as offensive coordinator. When Jim Harbaugh left to coach the Los Angeles Chargers in the NFL, Moore was promoted to head coach. However, problems soon followed.
According to court files and reports, the University of Michigan accused Moore of having an improper personal relationship with a staff member. Police documents later said the relationship lasted about two years and ended shortly before university officials learned about it.
After his dismissal, police said Moore went to the woman’s home and entered without permission. Investigators also claimed he sent messages that led to stalking accusations. Moore denied threatening or hurting the woman.
Several media reports have identified the woman as Paige Shiver, who previously worked as his assistant and is the daughter of a longtime Chicago Bears scout. Her lawyer has not publicly commented, according to the Daily Mail.
As part of the new plea deal, Moore agreed to plead no contest to two misdemeanors: malicious use of a telecommunications device in a private relationship and trespassing.
His lawyer argued earlier that the investigation had serious problems. After a hearing, a judge also noted that police did not initially mention that the woman worked for Moore. The Detroit Free Press reported that the judge said communication could have had a “legitimate purpose” because of their work relationship.
For now, Michaels says Moore’s main focus is his family. She told reporters he has been spending time with his wife Kelli and their daughters.
Even if returning to coaching is difficult, history shows it is not impossible. Coaches like Bobby Petrino have also returned to major football jobs after past scandals. Petrino now works under Bill Belichick with the North Carolina Tar Heels program.
Whether Sherrone Moore will follow a similar path remains uncertain. But with the felony charges gone, the conversation about his football future has clearly started again.