Suvendu govt ends religion-based schemes in Bengal, scraps state OBC list
NEW DELHI: The chief minister Suvendu Adhikari-led West Bengal cabinet Monday scrapped the assistance to the groups based on religious categorisation, effectively ending the religion-based schemes run during the Mamata Banerjee-led TMC government.
The BJP government has also done away with the exisiting state OBC list in accordance with the Calcutta high court judgement and would set up a panel to decide quota eligibility.
A few days ago, the Suvendu goverment reportedly withdrew petition filed by Mamata government against the high court stay on state OBC list roll out.
Last year on July 28, the CJI-led bench of the Supreme Court had vacated high court's stay on implementation of the new OBC list that had a total of 140 sub-groups under OBC-A and OBC-B categories, including 80 belonging to the Muslim community.
The Supreme Court had said that it was well settled that the Executive can notify such a list without passing legislation. The earlier list, which was struck down by the high court , had 113 OBC sub-groups with 77 from the Muslim community and 36 from others.
"The Bengal cabinet decided to discontinue government assistance to groups based on religious categorisation from June. The government also scrapped the existing state OBC list in accordance with the Calcutta High Court judgment and will set up a panel to decide quota eligibility," said minister Agnimitra Paul.
She said schemes being implemented under religious categorisation by the departments of Information and Cultural Affairs and the Minority Affairs and Madrasa Education would continue till the end of this month and would be stopped from June.
Addressing a press conference after the meeting at the state secretariat Nabanna, minister Agnimitra Paul said women, who applied for citizenship under the CAA and approached tribunals for inclusion in voter rolls in the wake of the SIR exercise, will also receive 'Annapurna' scheme benefits.
"The cabinet gave a nod to the 'Annapurna' scheme of Rs 3,000 monthly assistance to women from June 1. It also approved a proposal to allow free travel for women in government-run buses from next month," she said after the second meeting of the state council of ministers.
The BJP, during the recent assembly poll campaign, had pledged that its government would ensure free travel for women in state-run buses and offer a Rs 3,000 monthly scheme to them, as against the Rs 1,500 provided under the previous TMC government's "Lakhsmir Bhandar" scheme.
Paul, the women and child development minister, said the government also approved the constitution of the 7th state pay commission for its employees, and staffers in allied statutory civic bodies, education boards and those working in state-run education institutions, she said.
Asked whether the issue of dearness allowance was taken up in the meeting, chaired by Suvendu Adhikari, Paul said, “There was no discussion on DA today. Such discussions will be held later."
A few days ago, the Suvendu goverment reportedly withdrew petition filed by Mamata government against the high court stay on state OBC list roll out.
Last year on July 28, the CJI-led bench of the Supreme Court had vacated high court's stay on implementation of the new OBC list that had a total of 140 sub-groups under OBC-A and OBC-B categories, including 80 belonging to the Muslim community.
"The Bengal cabinet decided to discontinue government assistance to groups based on religious categorisation from June. The government also scrapped the existing state OBC list in accordance with the Calcutta High Court judgment and will set up a panel to decide quota eligibility," said minister Agnimitra Paul.
She said schemes being implemented under religious categorisation by the departments of Information and Cultural Affairs and the Minority Affairs and Madrasa Education would continue till the end of this month and would be stopped from June.
"The cabinet gave a nod to the 'Annapurna' scheme of Rs 3,000 monthly assistance to women from June 1. It also approved a proposal to allow free travel for women in government-run buses from next month," she said after the second meeting of the state council of ministers.
The BJP, during the recent assembly poll campaign, had pledged that its government would ensure free travel for women in state-run buses and offer a Rs 3,000 monthly scheme to them, as against the Rs 1,500 provided under the previous TMC government's "Lakhsmir Bhandar" scheme.
Asked whether the issue of dearness allowance was taken up in the meeting, chaired by Suvendu Adhikari, Paul said, “There was no discussion on DA today. Such discussions will be held later."
Comments (82)
I
IndianMost Interacted
2 days ago
PM Modi has just been told by the Dutch Prime Minister that the BJP government is stripping away the rights of backward classes an...Read More
12 Replies
13
61
Reply
end of article
Trending Stories
- IPL Live: Play resumes after rain interruption at Eden Gardens
- Vaibhav Sooryavanshi reveals real reason behind viral 'A' celebration after LSG blitz
08:30 'Gave them car, 10 tola gold': Woman dies by suicide due to 'dowry' harassment- Odisha CHSE 12th Result 2026 (OUT): Odisha Plus Two results out
- CBSE’s answer sheet portal chaos leaves lakhs of students stranded, frustrated and unheard
- CHSE Odisha Plus 2 result 2026 Out; Arts, Science and Commerce results together for first time: Steps to check marksheets on DigiLocker
- How Canada-based ‘suitor’ planned Punjabi singer Inder Kaur’s murder, fled India the same night
Featured in India
- From handing Centre ‘Chicken’s Neck’ to Vande Mataram mandate: 11 key decisions in 12 days by Suvendu government
- CBI books retired Navy captain for alleged disproportionate assets worth over Rs 3 crore
- 'Historic occasion': Tamil Nadu to get Congress ministers after 59 years as two party MLAs to take oath on Thursday
07:13 Setback Twisha Sharma's parents in 'suicide' case: Court denies permission for 2nd post-mortem; family meets MP CM- Centre ropes in Meta, Google, Telegram to curb fake NEET leak posts ahead of re-exam
03:06 Italy PM Meloni’s ‘parishram’ pitch steals spotlight at PM Modi press meet in Rome
Videos
05:53 India, Italy Elevate Ties; PM Modi's 'Melody' Gift To Meloni Goes Viral | Headlines@905:42 Parle Industries Shares Jump 5% After Modi-Meloni’s ‘Melody’ Moment, But There’s A Catch- Italy PM Giorgia Meloni Speaks Hindi During Joint Presser With PM Modi | Viral ‘Melodi’ Moment
04:04 'Anarchic Mindset': BJP Slams Rahul Gandhi For 'Traitors' Remark On PM Modi, Amit Shah03:52 'Warned India of Economic Storm, Then Flew to Italy on ₹4,000 Crore Jet': Rahul Gandhi Slams PM Modi03:27 India Successfully Tests Suryastra Precision Rocket System With 300-Km Strike Capability08:30 Three Newly Married Women Die Within Five Days Across MP And UP, Families Allege Dowry Harassment03:06 'Economic Storm Raging, PM Busy Handing Out Candies': Rahul Gandhi Slams Modi Over 'Melody' Video04:36 PM Modi & President Trump To Cross Paths At G7 Summit In France Amid India-US Trade Push
Photostories
- Gauranga Das shares 3 signs of a loyal partner
- 10 exercises that can keep the heart healthy
- Feeling Stressed? Try These Astrological Tips to Calm Down Your Mind
- Nidhi Kumar recreated Madhuri Dixit’s magic at Cannes 2026's red carpet — and the internet is officially obsessed
- 5 heaviest and biggest birds on earth: The real heavyweights of nature
- Want to grow Aloe vera indoors? Simple step-by-step guide to grow the succulent for beginners
- How to Boost Your Self-Confidence? Here Are Some Astrological Remedies
- Saffron milk skin benefits: Why the internet is obsessed with this beauty drink
- 5 clever ways to repurpose old socks
- From '3 Idiots 2' to 'Tumbbad 2': 5 Bollywood sequels that have fans counting down the days
Hot Picks
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media