Continue Reading on TOI App
Open
OPEN APP

Delhi elections: EC again bans BJP's Parvesh Verma from campaigning

The Election Commission on Wednesday banned BJP MP Parvesh Verma... Read More
NEW DELHI: The Election Commission on Wednesday banned BJP MP

Parvesh Verma

from campaigning for the second time in the run up to the Delhi assembly elections, this time for his remarks against chief minister Arvind Kejriwal.


The lawmaker from West Delhi will not be allowed to campaign for 24 hours starting 6pm today for referring to Kejriwal as a "terrorist", the poll panel said.

At an election rally last week, Verma had reportedly said: "Kejriwal jaise natwarlal, Kejriwal jaise atankwadi is desh mein chhupe baithe hain (Natwarlals and terrorists like Kejriwal are hiding in this country.)"

Later, Verma repeated his terrorist jibe at Kejriwal at a sit-in outside Parliament, where he held a placard that read "Atank ka Dusra Naam Kejriwal (Kejriwal: Another name for terror).

Taking strong objection to Verma's remarks, the

AAP

had filed a complaint with Delhi's Chief Electoral Officer demanding registration of an FIR against him.

Earlier, Verma was barred from campaigning for 96 hours (four days) for his interview in which he made remarks on Shaheen Bagh and a statement on removing mosques at an election meeting in Vikas Puri on January 28.

Meanwhile, the EC also condemned a statement by Kejriwal wherein he promised Mohalla clinics at all the courts.

The Commission warned him to be more careful and exercise caution in the future while making public utterances that may disturb the level playing field
Continue Reading
Follow Us On Social Media
end of article
More Trending Stories
Visual Stories
More Visual Stories
UP NEXT
Do Not Sell Or Share My Personal Information