Workers’ strike enters 6th day, leaves city with garbage pile
Raipur: Residents in all 70 wards of the Raipur Municipal Corporation (RMC) have reported severe hardship over the past five to six days as a strike by garbage vehicle operators and helpers engaged through the civic body’s contracted sanitation agency disrupted door-to-door waste collection.
With collection vehicles off the roads, garbage piled up in residential colonies, markets and roadside collection points, triggering complaints of foul smell, overflowing bins, scattered litter and stray animals feeding on the waste. Residents said the situation worsened in the heat, raising fears of unhygienic conditions and disease.
Naval Kishore Rathi of Deendayal Upadhyay Nagar said vehicles appeared only sporadically, leaving families uncertain about when waste would be lifted. Ashok Dubey of Professor Colony said no vehicle had visited for four to five days, forcing residents to either store waste indoors or dump it in open spaces. Rupendra Singh Chouhan of VIP Estate said he had not seen a collection vehicle for five days and residents were increasingly worried about sanitation and illness. Ajay Bhatnagar of Devendra Nagar said routine services were completely disrupted for five days. Akram Khan of SBI Colony, Vallabh Nagar, said the stench became unbearable during daytime heat. Sanjeet Jain of Chaitanya Green, Mowa, said a vehicle arrived on Monday after a four-day gap, bringing temporary relief after the smell became intolerable.
The disruption continued despite talks on May 16 between municipal officials and representatives of the agency managing waste collection. An RMC officer said a breakthrough came later after a meeting between Ramky Company management and representatives of the striking contractual workers, held in the presence of the district administration, police, labour department, the Raipur tehsildar’s office and the municipal corporation. The agency subsequently informed the RMC that a consensus had been reached and workers agreed to resume duties from the morning of May 17.
Civic officials, however, acknowledged that services remain far from normal. Of about 269 garbage collection vehicles deployed in the city, only around 100 were operational on Monday, with only a limited number of workers returning so far. The agency has assured the RMC it will hire additional manpower to restore services.
According to the RMC, drivers are paid a minimum monthly wage of Rs 12,000 and helpers up to Rs 10,000 under the unskilled labour category. Drivers are demanding Rs 22,000 per month and a Rs 25 lakh mediclaim cover. The agency has arranged alternative drivers to run about 100 vehicles, and officials said they expect operations to normalize within one to two days.
An RMC officer said an FIR has been registered against the drivers’ association for allegedly threatening workers who resumed duties and obstructing garbage collection.Raipur: Residents across Raipur have spent the past several days navigating mounting garbage and worsening hygiene conditions as a sanitation strike disrupted door-to-door waste collection services in all 70 wards of the Raipur Municipal Corporation (RMC).
With collection vehicles off the roads, garbage piled up in residential colonies, markets and roadside collection points, triggering complaints of foul smell, overflowing bins, scattered litter and stray animals feeding on the waste. Residents said the situation worsened in the heat, raising fears of unhygienic conditions and disease.
Naval Kishore Rathi of Deendayal Upadhyay Nagar said vehicles appeared only sporadically, leaving families uncertain about when waste would be lifted. Ashok Dubey of Professor Colony said no vehicle had visited for four to five days, forcing residents to either store waste indoors or dump it in open spaces. Rupendra Singh Chouhan of VIP Estate said he had not seen a collection vehicle for five days and residents were increasingly worried about sanitation and illness. Ajay Bhatnagar of Devendra Nagar said routine services were completely disrupted for five days. Akram Khan of SBI Colony, Vallabh Nagar, said the stench became unbearable during daytime heat. Sanjeet Jain of Chaitanya Green, Mowa, said a vehicle arrived on Monday after a four-day gap, bringing temporary relief after the smell became intolerable.
The disruption continued despite talks on May 16 between municipal officials and representatives of the agency managing waste collection. An RMC officer said a breakthrough came later after a meeting between Ramky Company management and representatives of the striking contractual workers, held in the presence of the district administration, police, labour department, the Raipur tehsildar’s office and the municipal corporation. The agency subsequently informed the RMC that a consensus had been reached and workers agreed to resume duties from the morning of May 17.
Civic officials, however, acknowledged that services remain far from normal. Of about 269 garbage collection vehicles deployed in the city, only around 100 were operational on Monday, with only a limited number of workers returning so far. The agency has assured the RMC it will hire additional manpower to restore services.
According to the RMC, drivers are paid a minimum monthly wage of Rs 12,000 and helpers up to Rs 10,000 under the unskilled labour category. Drivers are demanding Rs 22,000 per month and a Rs 25 lakh mediclaim cover. The agency has arranged alternative drivers to run about 100 vehicles, and officials said they expect operations to normalize within one to two days.
An RMC officer said an FIR has been registered against the drivers’ association for allegedly threatening workers who resumed duties and obstructing garbage collection.
Naval Kishore Rathi of Deendayal Upadhyay Nagar said vehicles appeared only sporadically, leaving families uncertain about when waste would be lifted. Ashok Dubey of Professor Colony said no vehicle had visited for four to five days, forcing residents to either store waste indoors or dump it in open spaces. Rupendra Singh Chouhan of VIP Estate said he had not seen a collection vehicle for five days and residents were increasingly worried about sanitation and illness. Ajay Bhatnagar of Devendra Nagar said routine services were completely disrupted for five days. Akram Khan of SBI Colony, Vallabh Nagar, said the stench became unbearable during daytime heat. Sanjeet Jain of Chaitanya Green, Mowa, said a vehicle arrived on Monday after a four-day gap, bringing temporary relief after the smell became intolerable.
The disruption continued despite talks on May 16 between municipal officials and representatives of the agency managing waste collection. An RMC officer said a breakthrough came later after a meeting between Ramky Company management and representatives of the striking contractual workers, held in the presence of the district administration, police, labour department, the Raipur tehsildar’s office and the municipal corporation. The agency subsequently informed the RMC that a consensus had been reached and workers agreed to resume duties from the morning of May 17.
Civic officials, however, acknowledged that services remain far from normal. Of about 269 garbage collection vehicles deployed in the city, only around 100 were operational on Monday, with only a limited number of workers returning so far. The agency has assured the RMC it will hire additional manpower to restore services.
According to the RMC, drivers are paid a minimum monthly wage of Rs 12,000 and helpers up to Rs 10,000 under the unskilled labour category. Drivers are demanding Rs 22,000 per month and a Rs 25 lakh mediclaim cover. The agency has arranged alternative drivers to run about 100 vehicles, and officials said they expect operations to normalize within one to two days.
An RMC officer said an FIR has been registered against the drivers’ association for allegedly threatening workers who resumed duties and obstructing garbage collection.Raipur: Residents across Raipur have spent the past several days navigating mounting garbage and worsening hygiene conditions as a sanitation strike disrupted door-to-door waste collection services in all 70 wards of the Raipur Municipal Corporation (RMC).
Naval Kishore Rathi of Deendayal Upadhyay Nagar said vehicles appeared only sporadically, leaving families uncertain about when waste would be lifted. Ashok Dubey of Professor Colony said no vehicle had visited for four to five days, forcing residents to either store waste indoors or dump it in open spaces. Rupendra Singh Chouhan of VIP Estate said he had not seen a collection vehicle for five days and residents were increasingly worried about sanitation and illness. Ajay Bhatnagar of Devendra Nagar said routine services were completely disrupted for five days. Akram Khan of SBI Colony, Vallabh Nagar, said the stench became unbearable during daytime heat. Sanjeet Jain of Chaitanya Green, Mowa, said a vehicle arrived on Monday after a four-day gap, bringing temporary relief after the smell became intolerable.
The disruption continued despite talks on May 16 between municipal officials and representatives of the agency managing waste collection. An RMC officer said a breakthrough came later after a meeting between Ramky Company management and representatives of the striking contractual workers, held in the presence of the district administration, police, labour department, the Raipur tehsildar’s office and the municipal corporation. The agency subsequently informed the RMC that a consensus had been reached and workers agreed to resume duties from the morning of May 17.
Civic officials, however, acknowledged that services remain far from normal. Of about 269 garbage collection vehicles deployed in the city, only around 100 were operational on Monday, with only a limited number of workers returning so far. The agency has assured the RMC it will hire additional manpower to restore services.
According to the RMC, drivers are paid a minimum monthly wage of Rs 12,000 and helpers up to Rs 10,000 under the unskilled labour category. Drivers are demanding Rs 22,000 per month and a Rs 25 lakh mediclaim cover. The agency has arranged alternative drivers to run about 100 vehicles, and officials said they expect operations to normalize within one to two days.
An RMC officer said an FIR has been registered against the drivers’ association for allegedly threatening workers who resumed duties and obstructing garbage collection.
Comments
Be the first to share a thought and become theFirst Voiceof this News Article
end of article
In Raipur
- ‘Bastar’s tamarind is sweet’: Amit Shah samples local produce at new tribal service hub
- BJP MLA’s mobile phone snatched during morning walk in Raipur
- Raipur shuttler pair clinches mixed-doubles gold at Saint Denis Reunion Open
- Forest officials attacked during anti-encroachment drive in tiger reserve village in Chhattisgarh
- Workers’ strike enters 6th day, leaves city with garbage pile
- HC upholds lifeterm for 5 in minor’s kidnapping case
- 'I can proudly declare India Naxal-free', says Amit Shah
Featured In City
- 'Youth unemployment had tripled compared to 2012'
- 'India has talent. Now it needs the system'
- ‘Influence being wielded’: Twisha Sharma's family, lawyer allege investigation lapses; teams formed to arrest husband, says top cop
- 'All theatre actors irrespective of their political belief should be freely able to do their work now'
- ‘Manmarzi ka dusra arth taanashahi…’: Delhi high court awards 6-month jail term to YouTuber over remarks against judiciary
- Why strategy matters to ace JEE Advanced
- Public pressure leads to reappointment of cleanliness crusader in Kalyan-Dombivli Municipal Corporation
Photostories
- "Faltu khana na banaye, agar koi..." CM Yogi Adityanath urges people on being mindful while cooking: 5 tips on how to cook 'right' at home
- 5 cat breeds that look majestic and regal
- 10 simple work habits that save you hours every week
- Neurologist shares 5 things she personally prioritises to protect children’s health
- Khatron Ke Khiladi 15: From Orry getting a bikini wax before KKK to Rubina Dilaik-Jasmin Bhasin and Gaurav Khanna-Farrhana Bhatt's reunion; here’s why these contestants are already making headlines
- The snake that “plays dead”: Inside the bizarre defence tactics of hognose snakes
- Aditi Rao Hydari’s home gives a rich mix of culture, comfort, and creativity: 5 ideas to borrow
- Mike Tyson says he caught Brad Pitt with his ex-wife: A look back at every cheating allegation the actor has ever faced
- Success quote of the day by Aristotle: "It is during our darkest moments that..."
- Why some employees keep getting promoted without being the loudest in the room
Videos
03:55 Pakistani Military Officer Mocked Online After Claiming Strikes On Indian Airbases That Don’t Exist06:16 Twisha Sharma Case Triggers Debate After Mother-In-Law Criticises Her Even After Death03:11 Kerala Swearing-In Ceremony Triggers Political Row Over Full Rendition Of Vande Mataram03:01 NEET UG 2026 Paper Leak Allegation Emerges After Rajasthan Whistleblower Flags Viral PDF Match03:02 KMC Issues Notices To 17 Properties Linked To Abhishek Banerjee In Building Violation Probe05:01 Norway PM Defends India Asks Journalist Helle Lyng To Respect Indian Democracy04:29 Mamata Escalates Attack, Says BJP Will Be Ousted From Power In Delhi After Bengal Poll Defeat03:09 Falta Repoll Heats Up As Political War Of Words Escalates Between BJP And TMC03:00 TMC MP Saayoni Ghosh Reacts After BJP Leader's Alleged Rs 1 Crore Beheading Remark
Hot Picks
Up Next
Follow Us On Social Media