PUNE: The Lonikand police are investigating a complaint filed by a 62-year-old-retired government employee, who alleged that three men and a woman duped him of Rs 16.32 lakh since November 23, 2020, on the pretext of showing him proposals of women after he had registered on a couple of matrimonial websites.
The police said the man has separated from his wife and children, and has been living alone for quite some time.
“He enrolled on the matrimonial sites. Soon after the registrations, he started receiving calls, and the callers assured him of an apt match. The callers collected money in phases on various pretexts to the point where the man realised that he had been taken for a ride,” senior inspector Gajanan Pawar of the Lonikand police said on Monday.
The money was collected in the fraudsters’ accounts in Delhi, Kolkata and Rajasthan, Pawar said.