LUCKNOW: Even as 60 people have been booked for allegedly shouting pro-Pakistan slogans during a clash in Aashiana, another family which faced similar charges in Talkatora area last year is still living in the shadow of fear though allegations against them fell flat during probe.
The family, which was booked in November, had to face a harrowing time till the police filed the final report and charge-sheet in February.
The police dropped sedition charges in the charge-sheet, retaining only breach of peace and criminal intimidation.
According to police, Mohammed Shariq, a property dealer had organised the aqiqa ceremony of his grandson on November 24, 2018.
A neighbour, Abhay Singh, objected to the noise being created by guests and had a heated argument with Shariq’s family.
Abhay was joined by some of his associates who blocked the road and accused the host and guests of shouting pro-Pakistan slogans. They lifted the protest after police lodged an FIR.
In the FIR, Abhay accused Shariq’s son Ali Shahzeb, his nephew Shahdat Usman and 45 unidentified people of sedition and rioting.
Fearing arrest, all the male members of the family fled and remained underground for months. Later, they surrendered before the court to secure bail and fight the case.
“We were left all alone in the time of crisis. No one came to our help. We even stopped stepping out of the house and took leave from offices to avoid unpleasant comments. Children also faced harassment when they went out. We also had to face financial crisis,” said Shariq’s wife.
Not willing to talk about the issue fearing limelight may bring trouble again, Shariq said: “Please leave us alone. I don’t want to relive the experience talking about it.”
SHO Talkatora Dhananjay Singh said, “We could not find any evidence to substantiate charges of sedition and prejudice against national integration. The complainants also could not present any evidence. Since a verbal spat had taken place, we retained the charges of breach of peace and intimidation.”