An online portal — www.se.census.gov.in — will go live on Apr 16
Gurgaon: As
the Census-2027 process begins, this will be the first time when people can fill their details on their own —
either through the online portal or through a dedicated mobile application.
With Gurgaon launching the process with self-enumeration from April 16, deputy commissioner Ajay Kumar has directed officials to spread awareness about this digital option across all villages and wards to ensure “maximum citizen participation”.
An online portal — www.se.census.gov.in — will go live on that day, allowing residents to register and fill in their details independently. “This time, the Census will be entirely based on a digital system. After submitting their information, citizens will receive a unique self-enumeration ID via SMS and email, following which enumerators will visit the location only for verification,” said the DC.
DC said the Census will be conducted in two phases. In the first phase, house listing will be carried out from May 1 to May 30, 2026, while in the second phase, population enumeration will be conducted from Feb 9 to Feb 28, 2027. Additionally, the self-enumeration option will be available to citizens from April 16 to April 30, 2026. To participate in the online census process, residents will need to visit the official portal. After entering their mobile number, they will receive an OTP through which they can log in.
He said that a special mobile app has been developed for enumerators, which will also work in offline mode and will automatically update data when the network is available, ensuring smooth operations even in remote areas. The DC urged citizens to provide correct and clear answers to all questions, as it is legally mandatory.
Before starting the Census process, officials involved in the process will be given training. Training programmes for enumerators and supervisors in the district started on April 6. Training has been organised in 28 batches from April 6 to 8. Subsequently, training programmes will also be organised at various locations from April 9 to 11, April 15 to 17, and April 20 to 22.
The administration has asked the departments to submit the updated staff lists, but these lists have not been submitted so far. The DC issued strict directions to the concerned department heads to provide their staff lists at the earliest, so that the “census work can be completed smoothly and without any difficulty”.
The DC said that active participation of common citizens is very important for making Census-2027 a success. “Officials have been asked to spread awareness about the self-enumeration facility to every village and ward level, so that the maximum number of people can register their own information themselves,” he added.
Bagish Jha is an Assistant Editor with The Times of India. Since ...
Read MoreBagish Jha is an Assistant Editor with The Times of India. Since 2015, he has been covering infrastructure, governance, administration, judiciary, taxation, and public issues, with a strong focus on South Haryana. His journalistic journey began in Nagpur, and prior to his current role in the National Capital Region, he reported extensively from Indore and across Madhya Pradesh. An alumnus of Nagpur University, Jha’s reporting consistently highlights systemic irregularities and gaps in government policies, with a particular focus on their impact on citizens. Through his work, he continues to serve as a vital link between policy and people, striving to make governance more transparent and accountable.
Read Less
Start a Conversation
Post comment