This story is from January 19, 2013

Shah panel may visit in February

The Justice M B Shah Commission, inquiring into illegal mining in Odisha, may visit the state again in February, official sources said on Friday.
Shah panel may visit in February
BHUBANESWAR: The Justice M B Shah Commission, inquiring into illegal mining in Odisha, may visit the state again in February, official sources said on Friday.
"A team from the commission is likely to make a trip to Bhubaneswar in the next few weeks to hear the versions of miners, accused of violating various mining and forest and environment laws and rules, as well as the state government," a senior steel and mines department officer said.
1x1 polls

Some miners as well as the state government had moved the commission seeking permission to be heard before the commission finalises its report on Odisha. Representatives of Eastern Zone Mining Association (EZMA) had recently requested the commission for an appointment to put forth their views.
Official sources said the commission could hold such a hearing either at its office in Ahmedabad or in Bhubaneswar. "It is expected that the commission would prefer to come to Bhubaneswar for the proposed hearing," the officer added. Secretary, steel and mines, Rajesh Verma said, "I am yet to receive any official communiqué in this regard."
Official sources said the state government, which is currently in the process of responding to certain questions sent by the commission, has formed a legal panel to appear before the commission and defend some of its notifications on which the Mining Tribunal has given stay orders. The Orissa High Court also recently asked the state government to dispose of all applications, for renewal of mining leases pending with it for long, in three months.

The commission had in December, 2011, visited the state to probe illegal mining in Odisha. It was followed by its representatives touring the state in October and November last year. They had toured different iron ore mines in Keonjhar and Sundergarh districts to probe alleged illegalities and also examined documents relating to at least 150 mines. State government officers, mine owners, IBM functionaries, political leaders and social activists had provided their versions on illegal mining to the commission.
In November, commission representatives had indicated that their probe into mining illegalities in Odisha was nearing completion and might be ready within 90 days. U V Singh, a senior forest officer from Karnataka who was heading a six-member team from the commission, had said: "We cannot say whether the team will return here again. We may comeback for investigation, if required."
author
About the Author
Sandeep Mishra

Sandeep Mishra works as an assistant editor at The Times of India, Bhubaneswar. He covers a range of subjects including policies and politics, sports and business. He holds post-graduate degrees in Sociology and Business Administration, and his hobbies include travelling, socializing and listening to music.

End of Article
FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA